New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't RPC into Win7 Pro when wireless, but can when wired?

Trying to Remote Desktop Connect to Win7 Pro. Will allow me to do so when ethernet connected, but not wireless.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you verified that you are on your wireless connection and not someone else's in the neighborhood?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Thanks for responding. I'm on my own LAN in the same WORKGROUP and can connect to the shared drives on the same Win 7 Pro computer with wireless. But can't connect using Remote Desktop Connection from the same computer that has access to the shares. And I can if I connect an ethernet cable to the Win 7 Pro.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A few things to consider:

Is your router setup to allow RDP on the Wireless port as well as the Ethernet port? Most are, but if RDP protocols are being blocked at the wireless port in the router you won't get a connection.

Do you have any 3rd party firewall software on the target machine that could be closing or blocking port 3389 on the wireless adapter?

Is the wireless adapter set to enter a low power state when not in use (to save power)?....does the issue present itself if you have an active network connection and data transferring via the wireless adapter on the target machine (i.e. transfer a large file from target to viewer, then while the transfer is active can you RDP?).

If you have a 3rd party firewall, consider temporarily disabling it, enabling Windows Firewall and enabling logging. Then review the firewall logs in conjunction the the event logs for any indication of blocked connection. Turn off firewall logging when not needed as the log files can grow quite large.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Thanks for the suggestions, which I was going to go through after letting Microsoft Update install today's 15 updates. After restarting, I decided to try RDC over wireless and was successful. Not sure which update may have resolved this. I know it wasn't because of a restart because that was the first thing I tried yesterday.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, another mystery solved mysteriously. They are most unsatisfactory where the curious are concerned. After verifying the connection I would have bet it was the RDP port was blocked on the wireless adapter but I guess we'll never know now.