Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Buying genuine Windows XP Pro

Hi all, I am purchasing a Win XP Pro from a web site that is offering an OEM Branded copy and mentions this statement after
    - "Please note this product is branded either Dell or HP, but will install/activate on any computer".
    The site is evaluesoftware.com for $69 and would like to know if this product can be used on my computer.
    Others for $49 are HP only. I have a home built from years ago with a ASUS motherboard (P4PE) that I bought from a local tech.
    I would like to keep this set up and buy a 100% genuine Windows XP Pro and replace with the one I have now.
    I am very familiar with XP and for what I do will stay with XP. Many thanks for any advice on this product.

Thanks
    You should be able to install it on any computer. But you'll need "disk 2", which would be the drivers for that computer (chipset / NIC / audio / etc); otherwise, a lot won't work, even though you have installed Windows.

As to whether it is a legal copy, it may or may not be. Some of these sites sell pirated software. Not having checked the site, I'm a bit suspicious, because of the difference in price between the "HP" disk and the "any computer" disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It advertises as being a OEM legal copy and I have all the drivers for the motherboard.
    Maybe if someone could have a quick look at this site to make sure I'm not getting a hacked copy I would really appreciate it.
    http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index...._detail&p=1949

Thanks
    The site appears to be legit.
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to be a legitimate site, but know that the software being sold is a download. Those can be problematic at best, PLUS you do not have a hard copy of the software unless you have the presence of mind to make a copy FIRST before you try to install it.

There are actual OEM XP SP3 on E-bay for $64.99 including the shipping. These will work for sure, AND you will always have the actual disk and the COA for any future re-installs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Even if the site is legitimate selling OEM software from Dell or HP is not legal. OEM software is licensed to the PC on which it was originally installed. While there are ways to get the software to install on a different PC it is definitely a license violation.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why are you replacing your original disk? If you want something with the service packs included you may want to Slipstream your original disk for the cost of a new disk.
    You can also download the individual service packs to usb or CD and apply them right after re-installing.

Thanks
    I always recommend having and keeping a fully legitimate copy of a genuine MS install disk of an operating system.
    Anything less, OEM's included, will always give you less control over your system.
    Joe also makes a good point in his post about your type of chosen branded OEM install disk being of questionable legitimacy when it comes down to potential EULA violation.
    As rgerick points out, a decently priced full version MS XP install disk can be had from eBay.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ebay makes me nervous, though I know there are reputable people there. Seeing that I am presently in the same boat as Estam, would someone be so kind enough to advise us how to discern a legitimate product/seller. I understand now to avoid any Dell or HP attachments.

CLiNT, may i ask what you mean by "OEM's included, will always give you less control over your system." ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Gerard3,

OEMs often include much unnecessary software in their "standard" setup. A recovery disc from an OEM will attempt to setup a PC the same way as from the OEM factory with all the bloatware.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @Gerard3,

OEMs often include much unnecessary software in their "standard" setup. A recovery disc from an OEM will attempt to setup a PC the same way as from the OEM factory with all the bloatware.

Joe
    Ah, thanks a million, Joe! Could I not easily enough resolve that situation with nLite, which will construct an iso file that allows one to preselect which junk gets dumped?

Thanks
    Besides what Joe just pointed out, OEM's are licensed to be more limiting too.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Besides what Joe just pointed out, OEM's are licensed to be more limiting too.
    Well, if it's a matter of transferring the license to a new system, then I have a very serious question. I do not understand why I cannot do the following. I have both a full retail version of W98 and an XP upgrade. The XP upgrade will do a complete install given the product key for 98. Why might that not work? The only caveat, if such, is that it is Home and not Pro version. Then of course I have to add the SP. Or after all is said and done, am I still better off with say an OEM Pro version? So sorry for all my confusion.

Plus, I wonder how I could configure all that in nLite. (I mean with the 98 product key).
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-12-13 at 21:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    As long as Windows 98 is not currently being used and XP is not in use, you can install XP and not violate the license. Home or Pro is your decision. As with many PC related things it depends on what you are going to do with the PC.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast