iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Ending 2012 with the typical Windows fixes

PATCH WATCH

Ending 2012 with the typical Windows fixes

By Susan Bradley

We come to the last set of updates for 2012, and it's the usual round of suspects — new Internet Explorer and Windows kernel fixes. But many Windows users will also see an awkward assortment of reissued patches and a slew of Win8 fixes..

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/ending-2012-with-the-typical-windows-fixes/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-12-12 at 17:19.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From a Coreldraw forum:
    "The security update that seemed to make certain fonts invisible had the association KB2753842, and that was the update the screened TrueType and OpenType fonts for possible threats to the Windows Kernal."

So be careful on this one.

Doug.S

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

Thank you for all you do to keep us straight on Updates! Very much appreciated. I have one update that I can't find in your list. It's KB2762895. I've gone back through your columns, but can't seem to find a recommendation on this one. My machine is a HP laptop with Windows 7 64bit platform

Thanks again!

Dennis

Thanks

"Skip" patch installed??

Should I see an installed patch on my system that you have suggested we "Skip" -- should I just uninstall it?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeetoe25 View Post
    Hi Susan,

Thank you for all you do to keep us straight on Updates! Very much appreciated. I have one update that I can't find in your list. It's KB2762895. I've gone back through your columns, but can't seem to find a recommendation on this one. My machine is a HP laptop with Windows 7 64bit platform

Thanks again!

Dennis
    Susan posted about this update here: Updates out today

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kb2748349

This update appeared on my PCs with this same batch of updates covered in the December 12, 2012 edition of Patch Watch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748349

However, I can not find any mention of it here on the forums, or in the Patch Watch archives. What is the scoop on this update?

Thanks

On a side note: After repeatedly checking for the latest Patch Watch article during late November, and then some extra digging around in the Patch Watch archives, I realized that the November 27, 2012 updates would not have a normal Patch Watch article. I never thought to look in the forums, for the latest copy of a weekly article, normally posted on the main website.

I'm guilty of being a creature of habit, but checking Patch Watch before installing any updates has proven to be a good habit to have!

As a suggestion, can someone please at least post a mention/ link of the updates being covered on the forum, in the Patch Watch section of the website [the normal location of the article]. I imagine a lot of other people went through a similar experience that I did during the holiday break.

Susan thanks for all your feedback, on what would otherwise be a horrific process, of keeping Window PCs updated!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748349 I'm still trying to figure out if this is one I should be freaking out over or asking for more info as to the exact trigger. Hang loose while I'm still investigating. Sorry for not listing it on yesterdays' list.

Normally I don't post patch info only in the Lounge, but Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks are a bit unusual as the editors are home with their families and we don't normally send out a newsletter. I didn't want to miss coverage on updates so I made sure to post about them in the Lounge. Bottom line if it's around the Holidays, head over to the Lounge as what we can't fit in the newsletter will end up here in the Lounge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

Neveron_Staff (2012-12-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's on and your system is working fine, leave it. It is just as much disruption to pull it off as to get it on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    If it's on and your system is working fine, leave it. It is just as much disruption to pull it off as to get it on.
    Not quit sure what you meant by 'if its on'

I'm new to the 'Enterprise' side of things. That update appears on 3 Windows Server 2008 Standard machines. I have not yet installed the update. I am also assuming that I have some piece of software installed that triggered this update to be downloaded, tho I'm still not clear on what they think is broken here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "If it's on" = if it's already installed, just leave it installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing KB2753842 to hold

Thanks to WindowsSecrets lounge-er DougS I'm flipping KB2753842 to hold

You can see the threads here:

Disapperaing fonts in CorelDRAW ... - CorelDRAW.com:
    http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/37113.aspx

Corel X5 -- Type 1 Fonts disappeared overnight -- Help please! - CorelDRAW.com:
    http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/37104.aspx

Graphics Unleashed: Windows Update KB2753842 Will Make Some Fonts Stop Working:
    http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.co...make-some.html

Thanks
    Thanks, and a joy-filled Christmas greeting to all you good folks at Windows Secrets. I've been subscribing to WS since Brian Livingston started his subscription program (ten years ago? I forget....). You folks do a wonderful job. Too bad we have to go through another "Vista" cycle with the Windows 8 mess. On my three systems, they'll have to tear my three Win 7 installations out of my cold dead fingers, or offer something better (Windows 9?). Meanwhile, I'll continue to hang-in with your folks, and be thankful that I don't have to fight "Metro."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Known issues with this security update
    • We are aware of issues related to OpenType Font (OTF) rendering in applications such as PowerPoint on affected versions of Windows that occur after this security update is applied. We are currently investigating these issues and will take appropriate action to address the known issues. "
    Per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2753842

Official statement by Microsoft showcasing they are aware of the issue and are investigating.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Graphics Unleashed: More Details on Windows Update KB2753842 Breaking
    Some Fonts:

http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.co...s+Unleashed%29
    More info there

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748349 I'm still trying to figure out if this is one I should be freaking out over or asking for more info as to the exact trigger. Hang loose while I'm still investigating. Sorry for not listing it on yesterdays' list.

Normally I don't post patch info only in the Lounge, but Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks are a bit unusual as the editors are home with their families and we don't normally send out a newsletter. I didn't want to miss coverage on updates so I made sure to post about them in the Lounge. Bottom line if it's around the Holidays, head over to the Lounge as what we can't fit in the newsletter will end up here in the Lounge.
    So what was the final verdict on this one? I looked in Patch Watch, the new Master Chart and here in the Lounge and still can not locate any discussion about it except this thread.