Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. I'm pretty sure I've got one of those screwdrivers. Appreciate the hint re. not needing to unplug and am definitely going to be careful re. the static prevention! Hope to be posting success by the start of next week!

Linda

Thanks
    I wouldn't obsess about static. I've built my own PCs since the release of the Sinclair ZX81 I built from a kit. I've installed many a motherboard, Memory, PC Cards, and disk drives and have never used a static strap. Never had a problem. I do touch the case to ground myself first though and avoid working in a carpeted area.

Jerry

Thanks
    I read somewhere that if you depress the on/off button with the power cord connected but NOT powered also helps.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hear you both, but I'm totally new at this and so the strap adds immensely to my comfort level! As I get more experienced ...

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nerves!

Boy, am I nervous! I have read and re-read all posts, links, PDFs; did an image backup of all partitions after cleaning PC using Dr. Who's great little disk cleanup tool, was all ready to go ... and now am experiencing a major case of cold feet! This computer is so essential to our business! One of the articles stressed how easy it would be to zap something with static and not even know it until later; then, Jerry wrote a reassuring post saying not to be overly concerned re. static. Guess this is like the nerves I had re. testing the boot image created in Macrium - and that was successful once I just did it.

Current plan (written for Loungers' double check that the list is complete):
    1. image backup to external drive, ensuring "intelligent sector copy" selected (done).
    2. move unplugged computer to table in un-carpeted room.
    3. put on anti static wrist band
    4. And don't forget to clip the wrist band antistatic device to the metal frame of the case once you start.
      Question: do I keep it clipped to the case once case is removed? Or?
    5. remove case, following instructions provided in Clint's PDF from HP for my PC.
    6. identify all parts, again thanks to Clint's post and PDF.
    7. determine length of needed SATA cable - IF I keep old drive in PC; purchase it if needed.
      Question: still thinking about best plan - keep in PC, reformat to get rid of its bad sectors;use as supplemental backup or not.
    8. install new drive in cage (this step makes me super nervous!), using same PDF, either as replacement for or along with original drive.
    9. reassemble PC.
    10. insert boot disk created with Macrium in CD drive; attach external drive; boot from CD.
    11. restore from image created yesterday.
      Question: (could be dumb) will all my documents be in this image as well as Windows system or do I have to retrieve them separately from cloud storage?
    12. check for success; celebrate!

Sorry this is way too long. Seeking final reassurance before moving to step 2 - or being told to get hands-on technical help to be safe!

On hold,

Linda

Thanks
    Hi Linda, their is one other thing you could do, take a photo with a digital camera after removing the cover.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Do a clean install. Most of the time restoring from image causes a blue screen once in a while.

Thanks
    Question: do I keep it clipped to the case once case is removed? Or?
    Once the case is open the wrist band is clipped to the metal frame of the case.
    Question: still thinking about best plan - keep in PC, reformat to get rid of its bad sectors;use as supplemental backup or not.
    Whether you continue to use it or not will be up to you. Personally, I would use it for "offline" storage. In other words, format and fill it with files/data and pack it away in a box somewhere. The drive is still functional, but not reliable for day to day usage. But it's optional and your opinion is key.
    Question: (could be dumb) will all my documents be in this image as well as Windows system or do I have to retrieve them separately from cloud storage?
    You will need to have backed up all of your data before starting, not after. So make certain that you have access to all of your files after everything is said and done.

Good luck with everything, and try not to be too nervous.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-15 at 21:10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Loungers, for answers and reassurance!

Will take the photo (great idea!).
    Understand re. clean install, but not brave enough to try it this first time.

Will double check all files are accessible in cloud (stored with Mozy) before moving ahead.

Once the case is open the wrist band is clipped to the metal frame of the case.
    Think I understand: only 2 sides are removed so it's clipped to remaining part of case. Have I understood correctly?

Appreciate the suggestion on use of current drive. Since it's gone down another point to 47 with another bad sector (now at 39), am going to go with what you suggest.

Okay, today's the day. Will post back on progress or further questions ... and try to stay calm and confident!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-16 at 11:43.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Thanks, Loungers, for answers and reassurance!
    Appreciate the suggestion on use of current drive. Since it's gone down another point to 47 with another bad sector (now at 39), am going to go with what you suggest.
    Linda
    Personally, I don't see any sense in keeping a bad hdd as new ones can be bought for peanuts.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good news; bad news. First, the good: got the old drive out and the new one in and I think it works!
    However, the restore seems stuck in a loop. Here's what happens:
    1. CD in drive and computer powered on brings up Linux info on DOS type screen
    2. Macrium Restore Wizard screen pops up; CD drawer pops open
    3. Next brings up Select folder screen, after a Please Wait message that lasts several seconds
    4. On Select folder screen, here's what's listed:
    - My Computer
    +C: GoFlex (external drive with images)
    +D: blank (new hard drive I think)
    - Network Neighborhood
    5. Clicking C shows this:
    + $Recycle Bin
    Macrium Backups (folder image)
    System Volume Information (folder image)
    6. Clicking Macrium results in text appearing on the lower right side of the Select folder screen BUT the cursor disappears so I can't click Next
    7. CD drawer closes and the cycle repeats again and again

I thought maybe having all images in one folder might be the issue so I used laptop to put most recent image in a separate folder. It appeared in the list when I did, but clicking it had the same result: cursor gone, CD closes, cycle repeats.

Any suggestions? Please!

Linda, with hope still springing eternal. I hate the thoughts of a clean install!

Thanks
    Use your keyboard to do the selecting if for whatever reason your mouse is not working.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm. Will try again, but keyboard doesn't seem to work. I tried to hold the cursor on Next and select via the down arrows but the blue highlight won't move...tried again after reading your post, but the keyboard won't make anything move on the screen. Rats! Even tried keyboard in a different USB port just in case. Do I need to press some other key at the same time? I tried Alt and Ctrl and Shift to no avail.

I can see "MBR Disk" at the top of the lower right text area and "SYSTEM Active" and "C Primary" on next line before it restarts, in case that helps. The screen disappears so fast I can't read the rest.

Just once I managed to click on an image folder and Next with the cursor and got a scary message: "Please select a location that has a valid backup image." Every other attempt just shuts down without my being able to access Next and recycles.

The images are all labeled "mimg" on the external drive and they seem the right size. I've tried the 3 I have on the backup drive with the same recycle result.

Anyway, am shutting this down for now as I've been at it for ages and do remember the definition of insanity (do the same action; hope for a different result!).

Any other ideas much appreciated and will try them in the morning, when everything looks better! We'll get there, I know!!!

Linda

Thanks
    Did you create the Windows PE based boot disk or the Linux boot disk for Macrium.
    The Linux based boot disk might be the problem. It sounds like generic mouse drivers aren't being loaded with the Linux/Macrium boot disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It must be the Linux one - the word Linux comes up when the boot starts. The mouse does work up until that last step. Is there a way around this?Linda

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast