Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Using the keyboard would be, ...if you could.
    Ensure that you have full USB boot capabilities in your BIOS. BIOS's vary quite a bit. I know in mine I can disable
    all bootable USB functions, including keyboard and mouse.

What you could do is the clean install, then restore the newest image from your your external drive.
    After all is said and done, you could then create a PE based boot disk at leisure.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for suggestions. Current thinking is to put old drive back in and start again. Make a new boot CD using it since it sounds as if i made the wrong one at first Then do it all again. Not totally comfortable with clean install so thought my redo, though tedious, an easier fix. And I'd be able to use the PC again!

Open to other ideas, as always.

Question- is that message re. valid image a concern? Or is it part of whole loop issue?

Will check back before replacing drive. Off first to research clean install.

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Clean install, Windows 7 I presume.

I have no idea why your getting that message, come to think of it, I don't know why your external drive is showing up as "C:" drive in you above post.
    Something is amiss.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure is ... but how the heck do we figure out what it is. I, too, was puzzled by the external drive being called C.

Thanks for the link - didn't mean to bother you about that. Was just reading Fred Langa's column on no reformat install and will now read your link and post back.
    RESULT: Think I like the less clean but easier route in Fred's article in earlier post as it saves everything and will be faster.
    QUESTION: Would I still restore from the image? Or is that just if I start with the Repair option rather than the Upgrade one Fred suggested?

Question: I have 2 sets of disks. One is Repair Disk Win 7 64 bit; the other is a set of 3, HP Recovery Discs. I think it's the Repair disk I'll need if I go with clean install, right?

OR how do you like my idea of either replacing new with old and starting over OR buying SATA cable and reinstalling old as a second HD so I can omit another uninstall and reinstall of new disk once we've got this all corrected.

Beginning to fear I've got myself into a "little learning is a dangerous thing" syndrome but I want to fight my way through it - only quickly! Laptop is main computer for my partner and I keep kicking him off it for this "project".

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 10:31. Reason: Update after reading link on Clean Install

Thanks
    You could make the bootable Macrium PE USB stick on your laptop and then try again.

OR

Question: I have 2 sets of disks. One is Repair Disk Win 7 64 bit; the other is a set of 3, HP Recovery Discs. I think it's the Repair disk I'll need if I go with clean install, right?
    You would have to look at the disks closely by opening them up in explorer to identify the Windows set up files.
    You'll either have a factory restore disk with an image on it, or a Windows 7 OEM install disk.
    One of the disks you have may just contain drivers and other programs from your computer maker.

This is approximately what a Windows 7 install disk looks like:
    W7 Install disk.jpg
    It shouldn't be any less than 3GB.

If & when you get past the setup with the clean install, you need not go any further. It might be possible to just restore an
    image from your current Linux boot disk from that point on. Initial operating system clean install setup shouldn't take anymore than 30-40 min.
    (in other words you won't have to install any programs, updates, or drivers)

It might be possible to trick the Linux boot disk, that you've used successfully in the past, into restoring an image to a drive
    that has already been recognized as a usable Windows drive.

If you decide to proceed with the clean install, do not attach any other drive, external or internal.
    You'll want the setup going to the new drive that will be defaulted to the drive letter "C".
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've attached screen shots of what's on the Windows disc. Do they look right?

Maybe I should try your workaround first to see if I can get what I have to work and save time. To try the USB trick, would I do the following:
    - install Macrium on laptop (not done yet, mea culpa)
    - make boot disk but make it on the USB instead of a CD?

LindaRepair Disk Boot Files.pngRepair Disk Sources Files.pngWindows Repair Disc.png
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 12:11. Reason: Forgot attachments!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. Me again. Preparing Windows PE repair on USB stick. Can I check the original boot CD in explorer to see if it was a Windows or a Linux? Or does the fact that "Linux" comes up on the DOS screen mean it was done as a Linux and not a Windows?

PROGRESS
    USB created, inserted in PC in USB slot; get DOS screen saying to "insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I have (removed and reinserted USB stick too) but nothing happens. Is it trying to boot from the CD, where there is nothing? Or have I done something wrong?

LATER UPDATE PROGRESS
    Wait, wait. Tried again but removed external drive first (think you had told me that) and got Windows to open! There are 2 missing drivers, apparently. I know I just skipped them the first time thinking I used neither, but maybe that's the issue with first CD boot attempt. They are an Ethernet controller driver and a network controller one. Where do I get them? They aren't on C drive. Do I look on web?

Igore below, I think.
    Just read article re. creating USB bootable and looks as if I did it wrong. You have to do some special stuff like using YUMI, etc. which I didn't do. I just selected option to put rescue on USB and assumed that it would then be usable. Oh, dear. Now what?
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 13:21. Reason: Update on USB boot task

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    READ me first:
    Sheesh. Don't have any idea what happened but I got tired of seeing that blasted box with those 2 drivers and decided to click the button (bottom left of PC screen) that said it would end current WinPE session and reboot. I did and, miracle of miracle, the image restore screen came up!

Once I got over my shock and delight, I did the restore and it's running now.

One issue: I had checked System, OS - C and the D partition (HP Recovery), the 3 on the image. It said there wasn't enough space for D Recovery so I unchecked it and continued.

Question: What do I do about getting this partition onto the new hard drive or ...?

Will post results of restore once it's done and hope I haven't ruined everything by omitting that Recovery partition.

Next stuff seems irrelevant right now but I left it here FYI.

Me once more with progress: an HP support forum person told me which 2 drivers I needed and I downloaded both onto a CD and then tried to get them loaded into the PC. Unfortunately, the message I received for both was that the selected INF file didn't contain any drivers suitable for my device, either the ethernet or network controller. Does this mean I should just ignore these drivers and continue with Macrium and see what happens. Guess the worst is that the same issue I had with the original restore and boot CD will occur (I know I skipped these drivers when making the first CD).

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 18:19. Reason: PROGRESS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hurray!

It's 2 hours later and I am typing this on my PC with its new hard drive, which is "perfect" according to HD Sentinel! All my "stuff" seems to be here and it started up just fine.

QUESTION: The only strange thing is that the drive is making very noticeable noise and it never did before! I know I tightened all the screws when I installed it. Any thoughts as to why it's so noisy? It's highly disconcerting! It just keeps on making noise, kind of a grinding, rough noise. It will drive me mad trying to work on the computer! Sometimes it fades almost away; then, off it goes again. Agh!

Regardless, it's been a long and stressful day on this so I'm going to shut down and check in tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all of you who helped me through this. Turns out the easiest part was the actual physical removal and installation of the new disk. It was the software - the most critical part - that caused all the headaches! Has been a real lesson in the importance of image backups, however, and that has made it all worthwhile.

Will be checking in re. noise issue (it is a different manufacturer - Western Digital - from the original HP one) and clearing up any questions Loungers might have, too.

Pooped but happy,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-17 at 20:33. Reason: Noise question

Thanks
    Turns out the easiest part was the actual physical removal and installation of the new disk. It was the software - the most critical part - that caused all the headaches!
    Yes, very true. Job well done.

QUESTION: The only strange thing is that the drive is making very noticeable noise and it never did before! I know I tightened all the screws when I installed it. Any thoughts as to why it's so noisy? It's highly disconcerting! It just keeps on making noise, kind of a grinding, rough noise. It will drive me mad trying to work on the computer! Sometimes it fades almost away; then, off it goes again. Agh!
    Placing rubber washers on the screws where the drive connects to the cages may help.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. I'm glad I tried this and am really glad I have a functioning computer with a "perfect" hard drive again. For others who might check this thread, my advice would be to ensure you can devote all the time needed in case things don't go as planned. It's important not to feel stressed by other demands while embarking on so highly technical a task. Second thought is that I'm glad I finally overcame my fear of opening a computer and now feel much more confident I can do that if it's necessary.

One Restore issue: restored System, OS - C and D partition (HP Recovery). It said there wasn't enough space to restore partition D so I unchecked it and continued.

Question: What do I do about getting this partition onto the new hard drive or ...?
    Aside from that - and trying the rubber washers - I believe this task is now complete. Yay!

Linda

Thanks
    How large is the replacement drive, and how large is the old one?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    For others who might check this thread, my advice would be to ensure you can devote all the time needed in case things don't go as planned.
    Linda, you're absolutely right about the time required. Many of us have been doing computer work for so long, that we usually can avoid pitfalls. When you're first starting out, however, and working on your own computer, I know it can be nerve wracking. Fortunately for me, when I started out, I mostly worked on other people's computers, so I didn't have to worry about messing up my own!

One thing that helped me was to read as much as I could from computer magazines. Nowadays, you can go to many web sites and learn a lot. I have learned a lot just from going through as many postings as I can on these forums.

Congratulations on a job well done!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint: Original is 1 TB; new one is a lot smaller - just 300 GB. Believe Loungers felt a small internal drive (for speed of backups) would be better than the big one. Use large ones for external storage. Of course, this must be why I can't get all my "stuff" onto the new one, including that Recovery partition, which I think is important.

Suggestion for solution? Doesn't this Recovery need to be on the "main" disk as it was before or ...?

Jim: I agree one hundred percent with what you said. Certainly, the anxiety meter ran way too high all this week. Did tons of reading, mostly here and via links from here, but nothing prepares you like doing it. One thing I did apppreciate: the HP manual that Clint linked me to was excellent. I printed it and followed it step by step and very slowly from #1 through to "Completed". Also took pictures of the innards as I went, another Lounge suggestion.

One question I had as I started was such a basic one but was never covered in all the reading: which hand wears the anti static wrist strap? I'm a leftie so had it on my left hand with the screwdriver, but realized my right hand was involved, too. Tried to touch the metal cage each time I involved the right hand, but it did make me nervous. These are the things experience teaches!

Again, thanks to everyone and a special and HUGE one to Clint, who must have nightmares now whenever he sees my user name in his forums. I apologize for how much help - and reassurance - I needed and can't thank you enough for sticking with me through all the hiccups. Your USB idea was brilliant - and saved the day!

Linda

Thanks
    Suggestion for solution? Doesn't this Recovery need to be on the "main" disk as it was before or ...?
    If you could make a bootable DVD with the contents of the recovery partition, you won't need to include it on the drive you currently have.
    (And I mean the original operating system installation media when I say recovery partition)

For that you will need to look over all of your documentation and or visit the site of your computer's manufacturer.
    They will, most likely, detail how/if you can make a bootable disk out of it.

Now that you are familiar with the innards of your computer, Linda, you might consider at some point getting a deal on a 1 or 2TB internal
    drive and installing it for increased storage and extra data security.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast