Thanks

Upgrade to Outlook 2010

I am going to be upgrading a Vista computer from Outlook 2003 to 2010. I'm probably going to uninstall, rather than do an in place upgrade (if that is even possible). Is it ok to use the existing pst file, or should I create a new one, and import (or maybe copy) the data? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Vincenzo,

I'd use the current file. It works just fine and there are no problems with doing so.
    When you copy the file to the new install you have 2 choices.
    1. Place it in the same place (since you don't mention changing OS versions) then the Install of 2010 should find it automatically.
    2. What I would do is place it in your Data Directory under a directory called Outlook. Then after you install 2010 and put at least one email account in Outlook move use Datafile management to add the new file. Then go to the Email account settings and change where the mail is delivered to the newly added (old) .pst file. I've done this many times and it works great. the nice thing about this is now when you backup your data files you get the .pst with them since this really is data! IMHO.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ok Thanks, RetiredGeek.