Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Some of my programs won't install in Windows 8.

I just tried to install Nero 8 but nothing seems to happen. This has happened with several other programs that I previously was able to use in Vista. In case this matters, I have an OEM version of Nero 8 on a disc that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD drive. I gave up on the other programs (don't even recall what they are), but I really liked Nero 8. I don't get any message (as far as I can tell), it just does not install when I click the install button that appears when I pop in the disc. Note: this is a legit copy of the final Windows 8 Pro, it's activated, and up-to-date as far as updates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems Nero 8 wasn't even compatible with Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/11267-nero-8-not-compatible.html

Even Nero 11 seems to have issues with Windows 8 and you are three versions behind:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...-on-windows-8/

Current version is Nero 12, already. Maybe you can get a discount on upgrading...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried running the setup executable in compatibility mode? In in this instance obviously for Vista, say Service Pack 1. And of course check Run as Administrator.

'Open' your OEM installation disc in File Explorer. Do not allow the autoplay routine to run; cancel out of it if necessary. Root around in the folder until you find the setup.exe for Nero 8. Then, right-click the EXE > Properties > Compatibility tab > apply the settings above. Close out Properties and now attempt the installation.

No guarantee, however, that Nero 8 will function correctly in Windows 8.

If you are looking primarily for simple burning and disc copy operations, you might consider the 64-bit version of 'CDBurnerXp'. Only the name is out of date; the software is straightforward and competent, less than 5 MB entirely free download, and so far has worked quite perfectly on my Eight.

Good luck!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I second Hans's recommendation for CDBurnerXP.
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote here for CDBurnerXP. It works extremely well for me on Win7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit). However, I haven't personally tested it on Win8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    I second Hans's recommendation for CDBurnerXP.
    On my laptop, CDBurnerXP won't drive my CD/DVD drive. I have had success with StarBurn due to its Emulator module.

The most recent version of CDBurnerXP has adware in its installer, last I looked. Unless they've updated the ad-free installer, I'd avoid it for now.

No reason for Nero to support Version 8 OEM. It's way behind their current Version 12. There is no upgrade path from an OEM version that old.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-28 at 10:00.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Best Free CD-DVD Burning Software
    Article is dated June 2012
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.