Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Her issue was the fact that the default action for the IE 10 tile continually malfunctioned to the desktop IE 10
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    That sounds like a preference rather than a problem (as in Ted' screenshot above).

Which implies that she would have known how to set such a preference, which I assure you, she does not. It was, indeed, a problem.
    She's running in default mode, which is the only way she knows how to use a laptop or desktop.

the desktop IE 10 could not resolve any URL through an active internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    And that sounds like a DNS issue.
    And yet the Message App could find her yahoo mail, the temperature for Buffalo, New York was available, the Microsoft Store could be browzed for new Apps, and other live tiles were merrily updating. I think some use of DNS can be implied, there - it's just that the desktop IE 10 couldn't seem to make heads nor tails of it. A DNS issue, yes, but yet another problem that should not be.

The laptop went back to the retailer, and the retailer is sending it back to HP.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Since it's brand new, the retailer should be the one to fix this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Since it's brand new, the retailer should be the one to fix this.
    They couldn't - they sent it to HP.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Wasn't that nice of them (dripping with sarcasm)!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    About the IE10 defaulting to the desktop version -- even though there shouldn't be any other browser on a new computer, she should still look into Default Applications and make sure IE10 is set as the Default Browser. Then it should be Metro style by default. Maybe also set up a new Metro Tile for it.

If that doesn't fix it, the reseller should either fix the computer or take it back free of charge as defective.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    About the IE10 defaulting to the desktop version -- even though there shouldn't be any other browser on a new computer, she should still look into Default Applications and make sure IE10 is set as the Default Browser. Then it should be Metro style by default. Maybe also set up a new Metro Tile for it.
    My point, Bob, is that not only does she not know where to look, she wouldn't really understand what she would see, and have absolutely no idea whatsoever of how to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    If that doesn't fix it, the reseller should either fix the computer or take it back free of charge as defective.
    Nearer my point. An average user, not technically savvy, should not have to deal with things that go awry in a new laptop.

That's why I advised her to return it to the retailer, who in turn returned it to HP.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-12-30 at 22:52. Reason: spelling

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    But bbearren, even my 80 year old mother who is very computer illiterate can be walked through many such procedures over the phone. Once set there would be no need for her to go through the process again. You could even install Team Viewer and manipulate her PC from your location.

In this case it did indeed sound like a possible error right from the manufacturer, but once it is returned, it might be worth exploring some other options fer her assistance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Let me try to get the perspective back in place, here.

This is not a year-old laptop that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro.

This is a newly purchased laptop that at the time, was less than three weeks old.

Whether or not I could have corrected the glitches (which I probably could) is completely beside the point. The point is that it was a newly purchased laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed, and it should work as expected right out of the box and, barring unforeseen incident(s), for a long, long, long time.

I've helped many friends with many hardware and software problems, including a lot of phone support over the years. But that has nothing to do with this situation.

If this had been my own newly purchased laptop, I would have taken it back to the retailer.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    As would I.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123