5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How To Recover Files?

Got an HP laptop with Win7 Home Premium, which needed to be restored to "out of the box" condition, using the factory-installed Recovery partition. Before it formatted the Windows partition, the recovery routine offered me a chance to backup the user files, which I did on a single DVD-R disk. Now that the laptop is back up and running, how do I get the user files back onto the laptop? I tried using Windows Backup and Restore, but it doesn't see a backup on the DVD.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Did you check the DVD contents with Windows Explorer?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-12-13)

Thanks
    When you plug the DVD into the player, a window should pop up asking you what you wish to do. Choose Open to view files. If this works, just drag the files back to the proper locations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Did you check the DVD contents with Windows Explorer?
    There's an application on the DVD called Recovery Manager, but all it's doing is copying the DVD contents to a folder on the laptop Desktop. Guess I'll have to manually move the backup files to the right location on the laptop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    There's an application on the DVD called Recovery Manager, but all it's doing is copying the DVD contents to a folder on the laptop Desktop. Guess I'll have to manually move the backup files to the right location on the laptop.
    Yes, quite likely you will. Probably it's just a very simple app and won't offer the versatility you are used to, with other apps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Yes, quite likely you will. Probably it's just a very simple app and won't offer the versatility you are used to, with other apps.
    I can understand that I need to copy the "recovered" User folder to the right place on the laptop, but I don't understand why there are folders like Windows and Program Files in the recovered data. Since the laptop is now back to "factory" condition, and any programs installed by the owner will have to be reinstalled, seems like many of the recovered folders would have garbage in them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    I can understand that I need to copy the "recovered" User folder to the right place on the laptop, but I don't understand why there are folders like Windows and Program Files in the recovered data. Since the laptop is now back to "factory" condition, and any programs installed by the owner will have to be reinstalled, seems like many of the recovered folders would have garbage in them.
    I guess that is how that backup program works...