Thread: Battery icon.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Battery icon.

Hello.
    I have just installed #3 license of W-7 of a family pack on a Thinkpad for my brother. It was a fresh install, complete wipe, it runs fine save for one thing, (so far). The battery icon is showing a red X on it, the battery is charging even if it suggest to : Consider replacing the battery. The battery is at 100% remaining power. I took the battery out and placed it into another Thinkpad, no problem, it runs fine and the icon is proper.

Now, the question. Is there a way to just change the icon or do I have to do a Repairs ? Only the icon presentation is wrong, I am quite sure as this bad icon is only present on this Thinkpad with three possible batteries and is right with the same three batteries on another Thinkpad. The W-7 update is only 10 hours old.

Thanks one and all. JP.

Thanks
    JP, There's an update for this issue. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2293330

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, hello.
    I am always awed at the way that you guys find these links. Thanks.
    That one referred to an HP laptop, I am on a Thinkpad ( IBM ) and it did not work for me. I tried to force a D/L and install but it would not take it, smarter than I.
    In the mean time, I have removed the battery icon from the notification area. It bothered me to see this red X. I know that the batteries, all three of them are well used but I never got this warning before and I still do not get it if I place them in another Thinkpad running, still, XP. This is made to try me, no less. I will keep trying to elucidate this mystery. Jean.

Thanks
    Since that didn't work, see if there's an update for the battery Firmware. The update for some Thinkpads is here:
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad...ty/ta-p/249366

If you have a different Model, check for and update for your specific model at the Lenovo site.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, Jerry, many a thankyou. I do not think, as a matter of fact, I am sure that this is not a battery problem. The three batteries that I have, one 8.0 and 2 4.0 A/H, are behaving properly in my second Thinkpad and again, they show the same results in the one Thinkpad that has a new W-7 OS. To me, it points to the OS.
    If you are still curious, can you let me know where it would be in the OS ? I could attempt a "Repairs", I have the proper CDs, ( DVDs ), salvaged from before W-8. At the moment, I am still building up this W-7 Thinkpad to make a clone and then go to my brother's place to clone it all to his Thinkpad, legal as I got one of these Family DVDs that allows three installs, great !
    Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    There was a raft of postings with the "Consider replacing the battery" issue on the Microsoft Windows 7 IT Pro board when Windows 7 first came out not necessarily related to just HP laptops. I think its a combination of the battery firmware that controls and reports charging state and the OS. The only things I can think of is to be sure all Windows 7 updates are installed and all Lenovo battery utilities and firmware is up to date. I don't think a repair install will help. If you try to install a clone of your laptop onto your brother's, Make sure you back up his first as the clone may not take if the hardware is different even though they are the same brand. Good Luck.

Jerry