Thanks

Totally Automatic Archiving in Outlook 2007

I've been hunting around for the answer to this one, but so far I haven't been able to find one.

I am looking for a way to do an automatic archive of my Outlook 2007 PST file once per month. I would like for the archive process to generate a new archive file each time, with the name reflecting the date that the archive was done.

For example, the archive that is done on 10/1/2012 would generate a PST file called "archive 2012 oct.pst", or something like that.

The problem is, my wife gets tons of email, and if I don't archive (and remove) the email in her PST file every three months, it will max out on the size, and she no longer receives new email until I free up space in her PST file.

I'm tired of fooling with it, so I'd really like to automate the process; but I can't find any way to get Outlook to generate a new archive file each time; I would have to manually change the default name every time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can give yourself a little breathing room by using a Unicode PST file. You can set the maximum file size - see How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and in Outlook 2003.

Check out the tools at Housekeeping and Message Management: Outlook to see if any fit what you want.

Joe

Thanks
    Some of the tools at Housekeeping and Message Management look like exactly what I need.

As far as Unicode PST files, I'm a bit unclear as to how to go from ANSI to Unicode. It seems that an Outlook 2007 PST file is already Unicode compatible; but how do you get it to default to Unicode? I'm sure that right now, my wife's PST files are defauting to ANSI, because she recently maxxed out one of them at about 2GB.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think that if you create a data file from scratch that it is Unicode by default but I'm not sure about Outlook 2007. If it is not Unicode you should be able to specify that it should be Unicode when the data file is created.

Joe

Thanks
    The only choice I am presented with is whether it is in Outlook format or Outlook 97-2003 format. Unless the choice is buried somewhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Outlook format should be Unicode. The Outlook 97-2003 format was ANSI.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    From the first section of this TechNet article - Configure Unicode options in Outlook 2007:

"Unicode format is used for new PST files by default."

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    From the first section of this TechNet article - Configure Unicode options in Outlook 2007:

"Unicode format is used for new PST files by default."

Joe
    The link points to a lot of very helpful info. It looks like I will need to create a new PST in unicode format, and then things will be unicode from then on out.

It's looking like I'll need to set a policy to make sure that it is in unicode.

Thanks for the info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You don't need to set a policy. All the policy does is make sure that a user can only create Unicode pst files. If you are doing it yourself or programatically that should not be an issue since the default is Unicode. Someone would have to go out of their way to create an ANSI psf file.

Joe

Thanks
    My default seems to be ANSI, because it maxxes out at 2GB.

Thanks
    I deleted the Outlook (2007) profile in my wife's computer and then created a new one. All of her email came pouring in.

I then noticed something: Under "Search Folders", there is now a folder called "Large Mail". I have never noticed this folder before. I'm wondering if this means that she now has a Unicode PST file?

I haven't been able to find any info on this, so maybe this is a dead end. But my gut tells me that maybe I have finally arrived to Unicode Land!

I guess I'll know that I have finally arrived if it allows her to have more than 2GB.