3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Curious characters in Eudora received mail

Messages I get from some people have strange characters. For instance an apostrophe (') is shown as ’ That's three separate characters. didn't comes out as didn’t. Can't comes out as Can’t

And double quotes (") are even more interesting, "lady" comes out as “lady”,

No big deal, and it can be edited to sort out the cr*p, but it does make reading difficult. Editing the message to change the font doesn't fix it. Any suggestions?

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The messages with those curious characters are encoded as UTF-8. There are plugins and workarounds available, apparently, but I haven't tried any of them. I just live with it, and have learned to read those messages without too many problems. Try a google search with eudora utf-8 plugin or something similar. You'll get lots of hits.

In Eudora you can click on the BLAH BLAH BLAH button to see all the header lines for messages. Somewhere in those header lines you'll find UTF-8 mentioned as the character set.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arne For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-01-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a whole new field to investigate. Luckily I am retired amd have plenty of time...now that I know what to look for.

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    Those stupid characters only present a REAL problem if you want to forward the email to someone else.

In that rare case, after I get the email into a 'Forward' screen, I select "EDIT" and then "REPLACE" and replace the errant characters with the proper ones. The result, of course, is a nice clean and easy to read email. That also works with those dang arrows ( >>>> ). Just replace > with nothing. It works!

That's how I deal with the problem. Like those dang blue or black lines down the left margin of an email.
    I edit those out as well, if I'm going to forward the email that has them.
    I want my forwarded email to look as clean and neat as if I've just created it myself.
    I often do put a disclaimer at the top of forwarded email:
    "Of course this is a forward! Do you think I'm smart enough or talented enough to create this myself?"

Cheers Mate, and Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!