Thanks

Underlining list elements in Word 2010

If I am creating a list like

Item One:

Item Two:

Item Three:

and so on and I want all those "labels" bold/underlined, but the text plain, no bold, no underlining, is there a way to do that en masse? So that if each time the labels change, but need to be underlined and bold, I could just type them in and then apply the formatting to the group? When I do that now -- select all the items and then format the group -- all the space in between is bold/underlined, so that then all the input will be as well.

I could do them each individually as I type them I know, but is there another way?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can modify the simple numbers for your document. After clicking the Numbering icon, right on the number field and choose Numbering > Define new number format. In the dialog, change the number style to One, Two, etc. In the number format box, add "Item" before the field ("One"). Click the format button to apply the bold and underscore.

If you want to apply the list by applying a paragraph style, define a multilevel list.
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    I apologize, Pam, for after reading your explanation [thank you] I realized that I had omitted a specific piece of info: Instead of "Item 1" and "Item 2" it is a random list such as "1. Gardening", "2. Shopping", "3. Car maintenance"... so it isn't actually a numbered list. The items ARE numbered though [like the example]. It is a "list" of definitions, such that the term being defined I want underlined and bold, where the definition would not be. So, how would I set up that -- as a style?

Additionally, I "found" the number format...problem is that the format applied only works for the number. So, if my list

1. Gardening
    2. Shopping
    3. Car Maintenance

the number are underlined, but not the text. Ideally the list would show

1. Gardening: Plant flowers
    2. Shopping: Shop for dinner
    3. Car Maintenance: Change oil

such that then the text itself would not be formatted. You are right I think that what I need is some type of style, since I create these about once a week or so. The more I look at this, the less feasible it appears.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2012-12-16 at 01:57.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi, Chuck:

Page 7 of this Bullets, Numbers, and Lists tutorial gives a tip on how to do this. It only works if Format beginning of list item like the one before it is selected in AutoFormat As You type. You can add the underline and bold to the numbers, creating a new number format, which will appear in the Number library (click the arrow on the numbering icon) for later use.

Using this method still means you have to apply the formatting to the lead-in text, but only once per contiguous list.

Let us know how this works out.
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Pam I'm taking a crack at it...I'll let you know...

Thanks,
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another approach that might work would be to set up a 2-column table, format Col. A (only) as Bold-Underline and wide enough to accept your longest entry,
    and Col. B to be as wide as the rest of the page.
    Make as many rows as you like, and format the entire table with NO borders inside or out, and you should be good to go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A Character Style for the underlined items would be a good option here too.

Thanks
    That's an idea. Thanks!

Chuck