Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Problems with Net View

Hey Y'all,

I don't usually use the Net View command but I've recently had a need for it and thought I'd developed a clever routine for having my laptop automatically connect to either the back end Access database on my home network or the one in our HOA office. It works just fine at home, however, the Net View command will not show the NAS drive drive in the HOA office even though I am connected to it and can access it via Windows Explorer and the Net View \\GOFLEX_HOME command but it does not show up when I enter just NET VIEW as does the network drive on my home system.
    NetView.JPG

The above command shows my laptop, desktop, and the WD My Book attached to the USB port on my Cisco EA4500 router w/NAS server.

Is this due to the fact that there are different workgroup names and I am not joining the workgroup in the HOA office just accessing the NAS via the router?

I can program around the problem know that I know what is happening but I'm curious why this doesn't work as I expected.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I don't think I can give you any answer, since NET VIEW on my Windows 7 Pro box just lists itself and my Buffalo NAS when no other computers on the local LAN are active.

But I did have a Logon Script problem with newly-introduced Windows 7 PCs on an otherwise XP Pro domain where the various shares drive letters only showed up in Windows Explorer but not in a Command Prompt NET USE command. Turns out that Windows Explorer seemed to keep a folk memory of the previous session, and the Logon Script hadn't worked properly on the latest reboot...

Are the operating systems different between Home and HOA?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BATcher,

No they are both Win-7. However, this shouldn't be an issue since the HOA computer was OFF when I tested this yesterday only the Router and NAS were powered up.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs