Thanks

File history issues

I switched on File History as this seemed to be recommended. However, it is now seemingly backing up files when they haven't been changed - this is eating up my 2Tb of storage when my whole C drive is only 156Gb. I've looked around and it would appear that this is a general problem, and Microsoft are being a bit coy about it (as far as I can see). Has anybody had the problem and solved it, as I'm going to have to turn it off soon as disk space is being rapidly consumed?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that when I reconnected my ext. drive and hit run under file history it copied everything over again, only faster than the 1st run. When I reconnect the drive and let file history run on it's own schedule it seems to copy only changed files. I have it set to run every hour but sometimes it takes a while to start, probably due to the programs timing from it's initial setup.

Thanks
    I just hook my Ext HD up and run File History once per month right after my monthly Image. I do not have it continually running. My data backup demands are not large. During the month I just back up each laptop to the other laptop. Not sure what might be going wrong in your system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    There's an extensive thread on the file history excessive backup issue at the Microsoft Windows IT Pro forum here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-da793dda9e27

There doesn't appear to be any solution yet. I use it on my laptop and haven't experienced it myself.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I had seen that thread. I didn't do a clean install, did you? I've been thinking about a clean install, but thought about all the reinstall of my apps and how long it would take! I wonder if it was install, but none of the people commenting on that thread make it clear what sort of upgrade they did.

Thanks
    I did use and always recommend the clean install on our 2 laptops and have not seen any of the problems reported in this forum. I realize the Upgrade Install works very well in Win 8, but it is dependent upon the underlying original installation too much. Any problems or weird interactions can be transferred into the new OS and cause strange problems there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I did a clean install. There was some speculation in the thread that the periodic defrag may be triggering a change in file status and that one of the Windows updates helped. I have an SSD in my laptop so Windows 8 doesn't defrag my disk.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, in that thread was a suggestion to delete some config files (in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\File History\Configuration and start again. This I did (deleting the original backup which had grown to a ridiculous size). It's now working as expected, just growing slowly without many files being duplicated which hadn't actually changed. I have no idea why this worked!
    I'm still considering the clean install....

Thanks
    That is really weird. Glad it seems to be working. There must have been some kind of configuration error. Strange.

If all seems to be working correctly now, I might consider holding off on the Custom Install and see how things are going.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hope that fixes it. There was a response from a Microsoft employee in that thread that indicated they were aware of the issue so maybe there will be a more permanent fix in a later Windows update.
    I'm still considering the clean install.
    I was going to say that would make Ted happy but I see he counselled you otherwise. I agree with his advice. I wouldn't go for the clean install unless the problem reoccurs.

Jerry

Thanks
    I see no reason to reinstall if things are working. If however a reinstall is in order for any reason, then I would definitely recommend a Custom Install.

We see so many very strange problems (most likely a small percentage of the overall installations), and most seem to go hand in hand with the Upgrade Installation. Those that have problems spend many more hours solving the problem than a Custom Install would have taken initially. Whenever I see a question about very strange behavior I just assume an Upgrade Installation. Any most that then do a Custom Installation seem to have great success.

Anyway, getting away from the question in hand. Glad things seem to be working.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Probably the only thing stopping me from a clean install is my Steam game (Train Simulator 2012 - yes, I know!). It was over 6Gb to download and I've asked the Steam guys if it's possible for it to be installed without downloading it (again). Unfortunately, they have yet to reply (even after a reminder). Ho hum!

Thanks
    It's too bad you did not burn the download file to DVD or copy it to external HD for later use. Everything I download is saved as an ISO file or .exe file or whatever on my data drive and backed up to my Ext. HD. This way when I install a new OS, I already have the downloaded file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Unfortunately there's no download file, it seems to be a system which installs on the fly. However, I had a quick look in their FAQs (I'm sure I did this before) and have found an FAQ about backing up the files - I think this would be the way forward. Or not as the case may be! I will try this and if it works, I'll be able to reinstall using this. Now to make sure I have all the other apps listed (using Belarc) and also all my bookmarks etc. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction (even if you weren't aware you were). I love this forum!

Thanks
    We're all glad we could help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted