New Lounger
    Thanks

System Configuration Utility

When I open the System Configuration Utility and look at the Services list. How do I determine which of these should be running and which can be stopped?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    1yioi87,

You can check out the Black Viper site. This site has information on different services configurations. I have used it in the past and found it very useful.
    Here's a link to the Win 8 Info.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It should be noted that in 2005, and possibly subsequently, Ed Bott described the Black Viper website as
    "infamous and notoriously inaccurate".

I cannot find anything which says his opinion has changed one way or the other since then, with the coming of Windows Vista, Windows 7...

Personally, I would leave services alone, since if they are unused, they disappear into the background and use almost no resource.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This one is far better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1yioi87 View Post
    When I open the System Configuration Utility and look at the Services list. How do I determine which of these should be running and which can be stopped?
    It'll be a combination of things, first and foremost will be knowing what's exactly running on your system.
    And if you don't, Google is still a good search engine to use to find answers.

Avoid using MSCONFIG to stop services, stopping start-up processes in MSCONFIG are fine.
    For services go to the run box and enter "services.msc"

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service. Black Viper
    I fully agree with curtailing some services, but it should be done intelligently, with full knowledge of any potential complications or trade offs
    in functionality.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-20 at 01:37.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.