New Lounger
    Thanks

Restore didn't get most recent files

I just suffered a main disk failure. I wasn't worried. I did had a system image from a few months ago and had done a backup using the Win 7 Backup and Restore only a couple weeks ago.

I got a new drive, restored the system image. Then went to Windows Backup and Restore and selected Restore all users' files. It said something about getting the most recent files. What I got were files from several months (7/11/2012) ago. What the Heck? I then chose Select another backup to restore files from. There I saw a listing for files from 11/7/2012 to 11/18/2012. Whew! I had to wade through the directory structures but I got the files I needed.

So the question is why didn't the restore function just get the most recent files in the first place?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar situation. I need to transfer files from my old Vista PC to a new Win 8 PC. I have been using "backup and restore" to do regular backup on the Vista PC. The backup is saved in an external HD.

At the Win 8 PC, I used "Windows 7 File Recovery" and did a folder restore using the Vista backup. However, it also restored the files that I had deleted from the Vista PC. In my case (as Limerock's case), I need to restore the current status of my folder. For such, I only want my current files restored. I could have done this by copying the folder from the old PC to a USB drive, and then copy to the new PC. But as I have a backup already, it makes sense to me to restore from it (instead of needing to copy to a USB drive again).

Being able to restore to the current status should be a very basic and most important requirement for any backup and restore tool. Is there a way to do it using the backup that I have already?

Actually I have posted this question on the Microsoft forum answers.microsoft.com, but didn't get a response.

Thanks
    The incremental backup just modifies files that have changed in the backup file. Those you deleted from your main PC are still contained in the backup file, The backup procedure does not delete files that you deleted on the main PC from the backup file, it simply modifies any files that have changed since the last backup.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaulam View Post
    Being able to restore to the current status should be a very basic and most important requirement for any backup and restore tool. Is there a way to do it using the backup that I have already?
    What did you use to make the backup & where is it stored???
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try Windows Easy Transfer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry not responding earlier. I thought that I would get email notifications when others have commented, but I didn't get any. Then I forgot about it. Anyway, I'll come back to check this thread promptly.

Thanks for all the replies.

Medico, thanks for explaining how the backup is done. I just wonder if I could use the backup to restore the current status of my folders. If it can't, then it appears (at least to me) to have missed a major requirement for a backup tool. What happens if my old PC has actually crashed? After I have restored my folders, I'll need to manually remove files that I don't need anymore (it will be very time consuming and actually difficult for me to locate them).

Roderunner, I have mentioned that in my original post. Pasted here again: I have been using "backup and restore" to do regular backup on the Vista PC. The backup is saved in an external HD.

Prescott, I've heard of Windows Easy Transfer but I didn't try that. I didn't really look into the procedure but I assume this will require 2 steps: copy folders to an external device, then copy from the device to my target PC. As I have a back up already, it makes more sense to me to use the backup to restore the folders. This could save me a few hours. But if my backup indeed cannot be used to restore the current status of my folders, I guess I have no choice... :-(

The key question I have is, can "Backup and restore" be used to restore the current status of folders?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaulam View Post
    The key question I have is, can "Backup and restore" be used to restore the current status of folders?

"Backup and restore" can be used to restore the backup. As Medico explained, if you have deleted files/folders since a prior backup, those files/folders still remain on that prior backup. When you backup up changes after you have deleted files/folders, those files/folders that you deleted will not be in the latest backup, but there is nothing done to any previous backups.

So when you combine such backups to try to retrieve everything that was lost from a failed drive, you will get a mish/mash combination of every backup that you restore in order to retrieve everything.

That is one of the most compelling reasons that I use drive images rather than any backup program. If I lose a drive, I want to be able to restore that drive's contents to a fresh replacement drive in one simple operation. A drive image does just that. I create images to an external NAS drive, as well as to an internal drive that is dedicated to images only. I keep the latest 3 or 4 images, and delete the older ones. That way I always have room for new drive images, and multiple copies of the things I want to keep safe.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren,

Thanks a lot for your reply. So the answer to my question is "no". While I understand the explanation how "Backup and restore" works, it's disappointing that the basic Windows backup tool cannot handle the very basic requirement. I used to be a developer and it appears to me that it's possible for the tool to keep a list of current files/folders.

Anyway, I shall use another tool for my new PC. I have used Synctoy before so I probably will use it again.

Thanks
    Karl