4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Correct IP Address

The last two numbers of my IP Address changed somehow, from 1.5 to 1.4. Where do I go on my computer to correct his error? (Note: This is the address for my wireless router that connects my computer and printer.)

Thank you.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Moon
    Last edited by moon1130; 2012-12-17 at 01:41.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why do you assume it to be an error? Are there any symptoms of errors and what was it that prompted you the check the IP address?

Open a command prompt and run the command "ipconfig /all", without the quotes. Post the results back here.

If your router is running a DHCP server and your PC is running a DHCP client (these are by far the most common settings in residential systems), everything is running as it should.

By the way, this is really a networking question, not a general productivity one. Perhaps an Admin or Moderator will move it?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response Tinto Tech.I assumed that my IPv4 Address changed because last week it was ..........1.5 and today it is ........1.4. Last week I was able to connect wirelessly to my printer, but now I cannot. In fact, my printer gave me a message saying that the IP address had changed.

I was having problems with Bing Desktop. My computer would just shut down. I removed Bing Desktop from my computer and all seems fine now.

So what I would like to do is get in and change the 1.4 back to 1.5. But, I don't know where to go to do that.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto Tech, I got the printer back up. It was a queue problem rather than an IP Address problem. Again, thanks for your help.

Moon

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK moon1130, thanks for the update.

To close this off, it is worthwhile recognising that unless you have manually set a static IP address, or your router assigns reserved IP addresses from a DHCP pool, it is very normal for your IP address on the LAN side to change. Today it may be 192.168.1.4, tomorrow 192.168.1.5, the next 192.168.1.2 - it all depends on the lease time and the ability of the client to hold the lease on the router. It will reassign IP addresses in a sequence determined more or less by a function of the lease time and the power up sequence of clients.

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Among many other things, the protocol assigns IP addresses to client PC's out of an address pool using a handshaking process known as Discover, Offer, Request, Acknowledge. There are times when DHCP can assign static IP's, or the client PC be configured to grab a fixed IP itself. There are valid reasons why a host should need a static IP address, but by far the most common in a residential system is to use dynamic IP address assigned by the router to the client PC's etc.

Taking this back to your original question, it becomes apparent the answer is right there in the question. If a user has set a static IP in the client or configured the DHCP server in the router to offer a reserved IP, then that person will know how the steps needed to reassign the IP. If they haven't set one, they are almost certainly using DHCP and everything should be automatic, including the likelihood of the IP changing now and then.

If you get an issue such as this again, I suggest double checking using the ipconfig /all command to verify DHCP is in use.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a million, Tinto Tech. You really helped me. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Moon1130