Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieten View Post
    Sorry Roderunner,
    I think you overestimated my knowledge. I cant get you Iso file working. I mounted it and copied the files to a sd-card, but that wont boot. Also I started in the mounted drive the mouse.com (the only file that can be opened) the promt-screen started, and than errors with com2; com3; com4 and the screen was gone again. Is this error maybe related to the problem of the Macrium boot-cd, that won't work because of an I?O error.
    After all I don't have a combination of an image of C and a boot-cd (or card). So I still don't dare to do the repair install and have still the 2 original problems.
    Ferdinand
    To write an ISO file to a CD, just right click the file and choose Open With and then Windows Disc Image Burner​.

Thanks
    Hi Ferdinand, the ISO must be burned to a dvd or cd before it can be used.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ferdinand,

The key word here is burned, not copied.

Zig

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,
    I feel more and more like a dumby. I burned the iso, and then ?? It does not boot, it opens only if I mount it (as before from the harddrive.) What I'm I supposed to do with it ??

Thanks
    I was a dummy at one time also. download http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=imgburn and use it to burn the ISO.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, oké Imgburn did its job very easily. Acronis TI(H) boots good, and then: ATI(H) has not found any hard drive. There are two of them (SATA) , and the bios recognize them. So what is this????

Thanks
    Hi dieten, when booting from Acronis Recovery disk, you have to tell it where to make the Backup Image. I make a new folder and name it as the date it was done on my external hdd.
    When restoring a previously made Backup, you have to browse to its location.
    Acronis only finds Backups automatically if installed on your pc.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, you didn't grasp the problem: after booting, I selected: start acronis, but the start up fails with the error-message I mentioned above: No Hard Drive, and then acronis closes again and goes back to the initial screen: select acronis or windows. if selected acronis, the story repeats itself, there does not appear any GUI and there is no way to tell anything to acronis.

Thanks
    That is very strange, I have made a recovery cd to use on other peoples computer using the ISO I sent you without any problems.
    Did you try it on your other computers ?.

Lounger
    Thanks
    To everybody, I think the problem is getting more clear. The back-up and recovery CD I got from Roderunner works fine on my other Win7 PC. But on my new PC, I have a list of probably related problems: A No Restorepoints can be made; B The windows back-up program won't work, because it finds no back-up medium; C The Macrium recovery CD boots, but won't start because of an I/O error; D The Acronis True Image program boots, but won't start up because "no hard drive detected".
    On the other hand the BIOS and Windows have no problems in seeing and using these hard drives (1 on Sata, partitionated "C" & "D", the second "F" for back-ups, on the other sata controller together with the DVD-drive).
    "Though this be madness, yet there is method in it".
    Last edited by dieten; 2013-01-21 at 07:13.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Continued: I concluded, if acronis has a problem, then it is maybe a hardware or bios problem, so I went to the hardware shop. They checked: Acronis 2010: failure. Acronis 2012 plus: works fine. Bios and hardware are oké. They made for me an image of C, but I have no recovery-cd of acronis 2012 myself, so I'm still affraid of doing a repair-installment. An this seems to me still the way to advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    After reading this thread again from the beginning I'm confused about a couple of things. I think you need to try to figure out what got you in this position.

Did you ever follow the link in post #22 and check the disk space for a system restore? This disk space is also used by volume shadow copies.

Have you been tweaking the system? Running third party "cleanup" products?

Why the insistence on using Acronis when you got Macium to do a backup of the system some time ago?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Joep517, thanks for your rethinking.
    The space for system-restore I have put to 10GB. I cleanup with Ccleaner, that is reasonable safe I suppose. The recovery CD of Macrium boots, but failed to start (I/O error), as failed Acronis 2010, only the Acronis 2012 CD works on my PC, and I want to have a working recovery procedure, before doing finally a repair-install, that in the end should -- hopefully -- solve my original problem of no restore-points, nor windows back-ups. Does this answer your questions ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unlike many other here, I refuse to use a system cleaner such as Ccleaner. Maybe there is a setting there which is causing your restore points to be deleted. Hopefully, someone else can point you to the correct things to check in Ccleaner.

I'm somewhat surprised that Macrium does not work especially if you got the latest version. Did you try to investigate the I/O error? Were there any details about the error?

I'm less surprised that Acronis 2010 had issues. I know many here user it and swear by it but in my experience through the years Acronis has seemed very sensitive to differing hardware setups.

Joe

Thanks
    I do not believe there is any setting in CCleaner that empties restore points> I have never seen this phenomena in my PC and I do use CCleaner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast