Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Still no restore-points, nor back-ups (and hours of waiting)

Still no restore-points, nor back-ups (and hours of waiting)
    I have three computers with windows 7 (with all updates applied) - 32-bit Home edition.
    On the latest and best one of them I have – for half a year now! - two problems, which maybe are interrelated ???
    Problem 1 - I can not make any restore-point. Every time I update or (un-)install something I have to wait 20 minutes till he decides to skip the restore-point procedure and than finally the instalment is done. - No error messages.
    Problem 2 -- I can not make any back-up using the windows back-up-program. This program starts looking for a back-up medium and keeps doing so for hours. (there is a back-up hard drive intern, that is recognized by bios and by explorer).
    Error message: Timeout shadowcopy 0 x 81000101

What I tried already:
    -- 1 - Disk check : oké
    -- 2 - From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-75f140a84a98
    Verify if these two services are running (and starting automatically):
    1. Volume Shadow Copy service
    2. Windows backup
    - Also ensure that their dependency services are running. You can check this information from services.msc. Follow the steps below to check the services.
    1. Go to start and type services.msc in the search field.
    2. Locate the two services.
    3. Right-Click on the service one at a time.
    4. Select properties.
    5. Go to Dependencies Tab.
    6. Note the dependency services.
    7. Make sure they’re also starting automatically and running.
    - 3 - Put off System-restore, reboot and put on system-restore.
    Access the link below and follow the steps to turn System Restore on or off.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tore-on-or-off

None of this works. Who has a idea what to do, or what to check at least.
    Many thanks, Ferdinand

Thanks
    Hi Ferdinand, their are quite a few users who have trouble as you described. Your best plan would be to buy Acronis TIH or down load Macrium free. Their are some users who have trouble using one or the other but not nearly as many with your method.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Try creating a System Restore point in Clean Boot. If that works, enable things in groups until you find the culprit. I would look at security software first. (Anti Virus, Firewalls, etc.)

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Have you tried running chkdsk?

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Rui,

I think that was his first bullet point.

Zig

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Rui,

I think that was his first bullet point.

Zig
    You are right, of course. My fault, sorry .

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I'll try the clean boot (useful link !) to find out what service or what startup is conflicting - if any? (I use simply MSE and Microsoft Firewall)
    and Roderunner, you mean that I can use Macrium Free to make restorepoints also or it is only an alternative to windows back-up ?

An account of the results follows in a few days, Ferdinand

Thanks
    Hi Ferdinand, Acronis or Macrium will make back-up images which are more dependable than restore points done with Windows.

Thanks
    Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect are 3rd party Imaging apps. These are, IMO, the gold standard for whole system back ups. They do not create a restore point in the Windows sense. A Windows System Restore Point generally creates a backup of critical Windows system files. An Image on the other hand creates a snapshot if you will of the ENTIRE system, all Windows system files, all customizations, all installed apps, the entire system. If you have a dual boot, or a separate data partition you can choose to back up EVERYTHING! This allows you to restore everything should something bad happen. I store my Images on an Ext USB HD.

Images are not generally created automatically unless you set up your system with scheduled tasks to do so. What I do is to create a new system monthly right after patch Tuesday.

I also back my data up separately from my Image as data tends to change much more often than the system. In my case, since my data needs are minimal, I back up data every couple of days to my wife's PC, then once per month at the same time I make my new Images, I use a new feature in Win 8 called File History to back up all my data to the same Ext HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I don't recall SFC /SCANNOW being mentioned here. Worth a try.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for the additional information
    I will start with sfc /scannow seems te easiest and most promissing.
    Ferdinand

Thanks
    Hi Ferdinand, does your S P look like this ????

RR.jpg

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear all,
    1 - I have run SFC /scannow : no problems.
    2 - I have used msconfig, but with all start-up off and all services on, no difference, No restorepoint, no windows Back-up.
    if I shut of all services, but activate Windows Back up: Volume shadow copy; Remote Procedure Call locator; RPC endpoint Mapper; I cannot find DCOM service proces Launcher in the MSconfig screen. (it is there in SVChost-service). After restart, even the Systemprotection tab does not activate.
    3- The systemprotection tab has the same content as the one of Roderunner (+ an extra F-disk with protection off ) although the lay-out is different
    By the way, I can start svchost.exe only from the configurationscreen, no longer from start or by right-clicking as I could before. Even the "administrator" has no right anymore, only the "trusted installer"

I'm stuck again
    Ferdinand

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't have a quick solution, but if I were in your shoes, I would be considering a repair install.
    As others have posted here, I don't use Windows native backup. It's probably for historical reasons, since I started creating images long before Windows had a similar feature and the Windows backup has never been as featured as my fav backup app, Acronis True Image, but I could probably repair just for the sake of having restore points, which are a quicker and simpler way to recover from small problems, like an issue with Windows update.

Thanks
    Yeah, I agree with doing a repair install, especially if you have come to rely on System Restore, for whatever reason.
    You may also want to go through some of your 3rd party apps, or OS tweak/personal settings, to see what might be interfering with SR.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast