Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Wow, what a struggle!!! Glad you finally got it resolved.

Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just a final question out of curiosity: I had minimized the hardware and connected them after the successful installment one by one (see advice # 70 ). Every time I made restore points. Than finally I connected the hdd (sata) which I use for storing the back-up images. Suddenly all previous restore-points had gone. For a moment it looked like the same old problem again. Luckily not, I could make a new restore-point (and the back-up functions still also). I wonder what happened. Did windows delete the restore points? and if so why? (It is not for lack of space, there was 5 GB reserved for RP, that is enough for 25 of them). I could have needed them just then, if I had to remove the hdd and wanted to return to the previous situation.
    And another question, I have put an image of the new C on that second hdd, do I have to image also that little new partition of 100MB? is that of any use?
    Last edited by dieten; 2013-02-08 at 05:45.

Thanks
    I would only image the OS drive. If somehow the MBR is lost, it is easily restored.

When you noticed the lost Restore Points, did you try to remove the Ext HD to see if they reappeared, or if the Restore Point you created after attaching the Ext HD was still there. That is somewhat strange, but with good Images, I personally do not really care on my PC as I do not use the Restore Points, just my Images if something bad happens. (Oh I see it's time for a new Image. WU just updated my PC)
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-02-08 at 06:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Restore points and shadow copies in Win7

Quote Originally Posted by dieten View Post
    I have just a final question out of curiosity: I had minimized the hardware and connected them after the successful installment one by one (see advice # 70 ). Every time I made restore points. Than finally I connected the hdd (sata) which I use for storing the back-up images. Suddenly all previous restore-points had gone. For a moment it looked like the same old problem again. Luckily not, I could make a new restore-point (and the back-up functions still also). I wonder what happened. Did windows delete the restore points? and if so why? (It is not for lack of space, there was 5 GB reserved for RP, that is enough for 25 of them). I could have needed them just then, if I had to remove the hdd and wanted to return to the previous situation.
    I'm guessing that you're basing your assumption about the maximum number of restore point on how XP implemented restore points (a database of information on changes to the system files, along with a chronological hierarchy of backup copies of any system files that had been changed). In Win7, restore points are based on a full image of the protected drive (by default, only the boot drive is protected; it's possible to enable system protection for other drives). In this scheme, each of these images (called a shadow copy) contains all the info for a restore point, but because all of the drive is imaged, each shadow copy (and, hence, each restore point) takes up much more space than it did in XP. Obviously the size of a single shadow copy will depend on the used space on your boot drive. On my system, I have 35 GB dedicated to system protection on my boot drive (C:, with 62 GB used for Win7 and apps--all my data is on other drives), which currently allows for 33 shadow copies (and, hence, 33 restore points).

In your case, allowing only 5 GB for system protection (I'm assuming you used the "System Protection" tab of the "System Properties" control panel to set this) might leave you with enough room for only 3-6 restore points, depending on the size of the used space on your boot drive. Normally (based on that assumption), and depending on how many times you created a new restore point during your process, your system may have started throwing away older restore points to make room for the new one.

So why might you have lost all restore points? My only guess is that, unlike me, you keep all of your data on the boot drive. If that's so, then your data is included in the shadow copies, greatly reducing the number of restore points you can save. I guess it's possible that, in this scenario, you may have reached a point where a single shadow copy was so big with respect to the available system protection space that Windows just barfed, deleted all of the old shadow copies (and restore points), and failed to create a new one. Then when you tried again, the whole system protection space was available, so the shadow copy / restore point successfully created. I would hope that Windows would have handled the situation better than that, but I've never run my system with such a small system protection space (your 5 GB).

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend that you greatly increase the size of system protection space. 5 GB sounds like it's an unstable configuration.

FYI, the shadow copies are also the basis for the "Restore previous versions" feature (for all files on a protected drive). This is a convenient way of restoring any single protected file (not just system files) to a given point in time (corresponding to the times when restore points were created). I've enabled system protection on my data drives to take advantage of this. In fact, it's proved so useful that I no longer keep a local file-by-file backup for my data on any internal HDD (though I do sync all data files to an external HDD that's periodically rotated offsite). As a further FYI, you can also browse the shadow copies using a utility called ShadowExplorer--it's a pretty cool way of doing file recovery for a small number of files.

Quote Originally Posted by dieten View Post
    And another question, I have put an image of the new C on that second hdd, do I have to image also that little new partition of 100MB? is that of any use?
    I wouldn't worry about it--that's the "system" or "system recovery" partition. As previously mentioned, it's used by Bitlocker and by the system recovery console. As long as you've made yourself a recovery CD or DVD and don't use Bitlocker, you don't need the system recovery partition. I deleted mine right after buying my Win7 system, and have never missed it. There's also an option during the Win7 install to not create it in the first place.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456