2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List style "Article/Section"

Several users have their the list style "Article/Section" applied to their heading styles. I see that Microsoft describes how this can happen, calling it a "harmless little bug."

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_pr...workbooks.aspx (Scroll down to "Warning")

However, documents that users have previously formatted with the normal Word heading styles are now opening with this list style in place of the heading styles. It looks like this style setting is now in Word, not just in a given document. Also, when text is exported from Confluence to Word, and then formatted, this list style takes over from normal Word headings, even if it does not when creating a new normal-based document.

Is there some way those users can re-set Word to the standard Word heading styles, short of deleting the Normal template? Is there some solution that will apply this re-set to documents that have been corrupted like this, when they open, or do users have to select all the heading styles in every affected doc to apply the corrected headings?

Finally, is there some way of preventing this from happening?
    Stylus

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sure, you can reset to styles from template, reset document Quick Styles (Change Styles > Style Set), or, if you have created a custom style set for the template or document, reapply the style set.

HTH
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I read the blog and tested it on my Word 2010 but the 'bug' didn't appear for me so there must be a setting somewhere that would cause the problem to occur on your machine. I have no idea on which setting it could be though.

Once the problem has occurred, can you not edit the Heading styles to remove the list applied? If you can, then you should be able to edit the Normal template directly.

Can you post an example document that has the Article list applied to the headings?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam & Andrew.

Thank you again. I will ask a user for one of the affected docs at work tomorrow morning and post it. I will also see if I can explain the workaround in a simple way, or make a macro that does this. I must say that this is the first time I have come across this. Very strange. My latest posting in the style copy thread has a theory about one way this bug is triggered, but the instance where it appeared after importing text from Confluence was something entirely different.
    Stylus