New Lounger
    Thanks

File Explorer keeps losing my drive and partitions

Anyone else having this.
    When I click on the File Explorer (Windows Explorer) icon on the taskbar, File Explorer opens but often no drive or partitions are displayed. Also, often when I right click on a shortcut, Windows just freezes and the small blue circle just keeps going round and round. I have to open Task Manager and select Windows Explorer and restart it. After that it is back to normal and my drives/partitions are displayed and right clicking on shortcuts brings up the context menu again. Then after a short while it all goes bottoms up again.
    Last edited by Robinsecret; 2012-12-18 at 16:44.

Thanks
    Robin, Welcome to the Lounge.

Was this an Upgrade Install or Custom Install on your part, or a new PC with Win 8 preinstalled?

If it was an Upgrade Install by you, the problem might be that something in your original OS did not play well with the Upgrade. In these cases, doing a Custom Install fixes the problems. I realize this would involve reinstalling all your apps, but in my experience this is often quicker than trying to solve one of these strange problems.

If this was an upgrade install, did you create installation media (DVD or Flash)? If not, the receipt MS emailed to you contains a link near the top to start over. When you get to the point choose Install by creating media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. My laptop is a Win 7 upgraded to Win 8 pro. I wanted to just do an upgrade to keep all my programs and settings but it kept failing therefore I had to do a clean install and lost all my programs and settings. I did run the Microsoft upgrade assistant before installing Win8 and uninstalled what it said was incompatible. I can't face starting all over again. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    I do not have any other suggestions. It does sound like something is corrupt, but you do say you already Custom Installed after a failed Upgrade Install attempt. I have read of cases where the actually download was corrupt and the ISO file had to be downloaded again. Perhaps someone else has some ideas, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You might try SFC /SCANNOW, works in Windows 8 just as in Windows 7.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Two suggestions: (1) while it is improbable that Windows 8 has not determined and downloaded the appropriate chipset drivers for your laptop's motherboard, it might be worth the effort to visit the OEM's site and pages for your model to see if a specific set has been released for Windows 8 — and be sure to select the correct 'bitness', i.e. 32 or 64-bit. You can do this from another computer and store the download on a USB Flash driver, then install directly from there — assuming Windows 8 is able and stable enough to read the Flash driver and operate from it.

(2) If this fails, go to Computer Management > Disk Management. It is possible that Windows 8 has 'recognized' the drive and its partitions, but that a 'Letter' remains to be assigned to each volume before they can be displayed in File Explorer. Take care to label the drives correctly, namely the volume with Windows normally could be C and you can subsequently 'name' the volume from File Explorer as well.

Best of luck!