New Lounger
    Thanks

Phoenix BIOS boot sequence problem

Hi!

I'm a longtime subscriber and I've encountered a problem that totally baffles me! I hope someone can help.

I'm helping a friend with her computer (she's not very proficient). For some reason her password no longer works on her Acer 7741z with Windows 7 Home Edition. Even the hint is the same as the beginning of her password. I found a third party password utility that I burned onto a disk (She has no restore disk for the Acer).

Amazingly, when I go into the BIOS (Phoenix SecureCore Setup Utility), I can't get the boot order resequenced to start with the CD/DVD first. The F5/F6 doesn't move the devices up and down as the instructions indicate. I found someone elsewhere suggesting num lock and using the +/-, but that didn't work either.

What gives?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Have you tried the arrow keys in combination with the +/-, or try some combination of the SPACE bar and +/-.
    Instructions for moving items should be detailed on the right hand side of the menus.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The instructions on the right say that the f5/f6 keys will move the choices up and down; however, nothing happens. The up and down arrows on the keypad navigate up and down and highlight the various choices. According to how I read the instructions, once highlighted, the f5 and f6 keys will move the highlighted selection up and down, thus setting the sequence you want, but that doesn't happen. I did try the + and - keys, though not the space bar. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for replying!

Thanks
    Did you try hitting F10 or F12 during initial boot? On most Acer laptops that should get you a one time boot device selection.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or even trying F8 very quickly after boot screen shows this sometimes gives you a choice of what you want to boot from.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I looked up your user manual and F12 at boot time should bring up the menu that allows you to choose your boot device.

Jerry