New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Repair Doesn't Work- endlessly loops

I have been helping a friend install Win 8 on an old computer. They seemed to be working well together and then he had problems. Instead of the BSOD he seemed to be stuck in the Sargasso Sea of Automatic Repair. His search has shown that others have been there. There is some evidence that it relates to Microsoft changing the boot up process.
    I couldn't find a mention of it in the lounge. All thoughts would be welcome. I post his email to me.
    thanks
    Glenn

>Well, I got sucked into installing the free upgrade to Media Player, which is currently free. This on the laptop. It would take while to
    >explain what happened, but I happened upon a web site which describes EXACTLY my weird situation. The upgrade re-booted as they usually do, and failed to boot properly, followed by an endless loop of Windows Automatic Repair. From there the story here is almost exactly what happened:
    >
    >http://www.selarom.net/blog/2012/09/01/windows-8-woes
    >
    >So the laptop is now completely bricked, sigh ... Safe mode no help. None of the tools in the Macrium rescue disk help: all end up back in
    >the Automatic Repair cycle.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    How did you attempt to install Win 8 the first time? Did you burn the ISO file to DVD or just try to upgrade from the download? I would start over with a Custom install, including formatting the HD during the installation (when you boot to the DVD choose Custom Install. On the next screen click on Advanced Disk Options, highlight the partition you are installing Win 8 into and choose Format. Once formatted the installation will continue.

There is not an upgrade to Media Player. I believe what you are referring to is the free for now Media Center. Once installed, you will have both. Media Player for CDs and Media Center for DVDs. I suspect your problems with Media Center were related to the above problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

possible answer from most recent windows secrets

FRom the section on patch tuesday. Both of these errors happened trigger it seems by installing MediaShow.
    Thanks for the fast reply but my friend was apparently just two days ahead of this newsletter.
    Glenn
    Quoting the article
    Optional updates that aren’t so optional

If you don’t find the following updates in the Important section of Windows Update, look for them under the Optional tab, along with two Silverlight and Bing updates. During Win8 setup, you might not have chosen to display both optional and recommended updates in the same way.

The Silverlight-Bing updates are optional; these other four should be installed:
    KB 2769034 ensures that Windows’ Recovery Environment (if triggered) will actually work after a reboot.
    Under specific circumstances, Win8′s Program Compatibility Assistant displays an unexpected error when you attempt to install apps such as MediaShow, PaintShop Pro, WinDVD, and MoviePhotoMenu. KB 2777294 corrects that flaw.
    KB 2779444 adds support for camera-specific file formats to the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.
    KB 2780541 fixes a keyboard layout/language problem that might occur if you use Win8′s Push Button Reset option. It might make it difficult to enter your password.

What to do: Install KB 2769034, KB 2777294, KB 2779444, and KB 2780541 — restart required.