5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eight simple steps for setting up Windows 8

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Eight simple steps for setting up Windows 8

By Woody Leonhard

Here you are, faced with a new Windows 8 computer — a gift, perhaps, or maybe a machine you have to get going for a friend or family member.

What on earth do you do with it? How do you start without, uh, Start? Let me take you through eight easy steps toward Win8 enlightenment.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/eight-simple-steps-for-setting-up-windows-8/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-12-19 at 17:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody --
    I liked your list for installing Win8. To this I'd add: use the Ninite site/application (ninite.com) to select the various free programs that you'd like to install. Be sure to include "Classic Start" (under Utilities) to get your start button/menu/functions back, including booting directly into your familiar Windows screen (rather than into Metro). What do you think?
    -- Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You mentioned Administrator and Standard accounts, but what I see is a Local/Administrator account (my name) and a full Administrator account. Although the latter is also labeled as Local/Administrator on the accounts page, it has full administrator rights (I skipped the MS account). I see this in action with VPN, where the named account returns a variety of errors in connecting to a server (but does), while the Administrator account logs in cleanly, just as the Win 7 Administrator account does.

As for the taskbar, instead of loading up the left side of the taskbar with pinned items, why not leave that for the most used few items, such as a browser, email client and file manager, and add an XP-style Quick Launch bar with the other commonly used apps over to the right? http://beingpc.com/2010/01/bring-bac...-in-windows-7/. That way I don't have a cluttered taskbar and don't have to go to the desktop nearly as often (a Show Desktop icon down there helps with the latter).
    Last edited by highstream; 2012-12-21 at 01:45.

Thanks
    Due to security enhancements in Windows 8, there is no such thing as an Administrator Account with Full Privileges. The Win-RT Apps won't even list, and cannot be modified at all from any User Account, even the so-called "Administrator Account". And there is a long list of other things which the Administrator Account cannot do in Windows 8. That is, without changing Local Security Policies, which is tricky and dangerous to do. This article gives a detailed description of what is needed to allow an Administrator Account to modify System Files and Folders. Many other examples of restrictions which require this kind of hoop-jumping can easily be cited in Windows 8.

Quick Launch as used in Windows 7 does not natively exist in Windows 8. This article shows one relatively safe hack to bring it back. But it is a hack and not a native feature of Windows 8.

Show Desktop still works with the bottom-right Hot Corner in Windows 8, much the same as "Aero Peek" operates in Windows 7. No need for a separate shortcut.

There is also a Desktop Toolbar which allows everything on the Desktop to be accessed. I show My Computer on my Windows 8 Desktop, and through this shortcut in the Desktop Toolbar, I can get to anywhere on my computer from the Windows 8 Taskbar, without closing any active open windows. The process involves a series of flyout folder contents lists, but this inconvenience is overcome by being able to get to my data wherever they may be on my computer without closing my active windows.

When setting up Windows 8, if you choose to set up an Administrator Account with Local login, you have exactly one Administrator Account with only Administrator privileges. There is no hidden "super-Administrator" account in Windows 8, to my knowledge. Once you have created an Administrator Account, go to Add a User (which flips you over to the Windows-RT style Control Panel) and add a Standard User Account. Unless doing maintenance or other system level functions, it's best to operate out of a Standard User Account in Windows 8, just as in previous Windows versions. UACs are a pain, but you can elevate privileges in Windows 8 to do nearly anything you would routinely need to do from the Standard User Account, only going into the Administrator Account for weekly or monthly maintenance, backup and other such operations. This is the safe way to use levels of privilege in Windows 8.

Circumventing Windows security is not wise and can result in system instability. Do such modifications only when absolutely necessary.

Regarding bringing back the Classic Start Menu, I see no point in doing this. It is only a crutch and will impede you as you learn how to use Windows 8 as it is meant to be used.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Quick Launch as used in Windows 7 does not natively exist in Windows 8. This article shows one relatively safe hack to bring it back. But it is a hack and not a native feature of Windows 8.
    That's exactly the same situation, method and location as in Windows 7:

By default Quick Launch is disabled in Windows 7.
    The Quick Launch folder is located at the hidden system folder location C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    How to Enable or Disable Quick Launch in Windows 7

There is no hidden "super-Administrator" account in Windows 8, to my knowledge.
    There is:

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Regarding bringing back the Classic Start Menu, I see no point in doing this. It is only a crutch and will impede you as you learn how to use Windows 8 as it is meant to be used.
    No more of a crutch than Desktop or Quick Launch toolbars. Just easier and quicker to use.

Bruce

Thanks
    I still question whether in the final Release Version there is really a Hidden Administrator Account which has full access across the Win32/WinRT API divide. I haven't seen such an Account in the Beta versions, where I tried to use it.

"You will not be able to open and run 'Metro' Store Apps while signed in to the built-in Administrator account."
    (from the article)

I'm not a fan of Quick Launch, so I never noticed its native absence by default in Windows 7. But in Windows 8, it takes a bit more doing to bring back Quick Launch than it does in Windows 7, last I was reading about this.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-28 at 09:12.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I still question whether in the final Release Version there is really a Hidden Administrator Account which has full access across the Win32/WinRT API divide.
    Still?

I haven't seen such an Account in the Beta versions, where I tried to use it.
    Why only in Beta versions?

"You will not be able to open and run 'Metro' Store Apps while signed in to the built-in Administrator account."
    (from the article)
    Seems entirely logical since you can't run Metro apps with UAC disabled.

I'm not a fan of Quick Launch, so I never noticed its native absence by default in Windows 7. But in Windows 8, it takes a bit more doing to bring back Quick Launch than it does in Windows 7, last I was reading about this.
    Same two steps for Windows 7 or Windows 8: New Toolbar; %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-10 at 01:03. Reason: (Toolbar, not Taskbar)

Thanks
    I have questioned several times before the existence of a truly all-empowered Administrator Account in Windows 8.

More to the point, I haven't tried to use the "Hidden Administrator Account" in Windows 8 since Final Release, which was when I realized that it doesn't have control over Windows RT style Apps. This is a serious limitation, and not the only one I've been reading about.

Not having access to the 'Metro' Store Apps seems to me to be a very serious limitation for computer administration.

And no, Quick Launch is not enabled in Windows 8 the same way as in Windows 7. No matter, since I don't use Quick Launch in Windows 7 or Windows 8. I do use the Desktop Toolbar in Windows 8, but that's as close as I've come to a Quick Launch.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And no, Quick Launch is not enabled in Windows 8 the same way as in Windows 7.
    What's the difference?

How to Enable or Disable Quick Launch in Windows 7

Quick Launch - Add to Taskbar in Windows 8

Bruce