Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

My smartphone update

Well, I tried this a few more times, and I can connect using WiFi with WPS disabled. Guess I pushed the panic button too soon! LOL

Thanks
    Has anyone actually got this thing to work??? I have downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions. Both stop just before the GUI interface is supposed to appear. The screen goes black and the signal is lost to the monitor. Did Fred miss an instruction or give the wrong one???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapletrail View Post
    Well, I tried this a few more times, and I can connect using WiFi with WPS disabled. Guess I pushed the panic button too soon! LOL
    That's more like it . Glad you got that working.

New Lounger
    Thanks

airmon command not found

Hi Fred

thanks for this very interesting article... I tried to follow your step by step instructions to test my security and had the following problem:

- you said to type the command "airmon - ng start wlan0"
    - I did, and got an error message saying that airmon was unknown (precise message below)
    No command 'airmon' found, did you mean:
    command 'mirmon' from package 'mirmon' (universe)
    airmon: command not found

I don't know anything about linux, but being a software developer in the windows world, I'm not totally without ressources, so I decided to try to install this package the same way I installed Reaver previously, but even the appt-get install airmon dir not succeed.

This happened while using the EXACT same distribution of linux you are describing (backtrack 5 R3, 32 bits)

Please advise.
    Of course, I'm available for any supplemental information/test you may need to investigate this problem

Fabrice Harari
    http://www.fabriceharari.com
    fromweb@fabriceharari.com (all of you frightened to see an email address fully naked, thank you, but I do have a top of the line spam filter )

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read both articles but I actually got stopped in the first article (last week). My router is a WRT54G that I have been using for several years. When I look at its Wireless screen, or any other screen, it does not mention WPS at all. Does that mean that it is too old for WPS? Is that a good thing?

Thanks, Bill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FabriceHarari View Post

- you said to type the command "airmon - ng start wlan0"
    - I did, and got an error message saying that airmon was unknown (precise message below)
    No command 'airmon' found, did you mean:
    command 'mirmon' from package 'mirmon' (universe)
    airmon: command not found
    Fabrice,

I believe the command is airmon-ng (in one word, no spaces) not airmon -ng (command with one option). Some of the other commands apparently also end in -ng. At least that worked for me.

Hope this helps
    mo.eu

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved, thank you

You are perfectly right...

My windows deformed mind wanted to see the -ng as a parameter when it was part of the command.

Thanks... Reaver is trying to crack my router security as I writer... With just a waiting for beacon message for now

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I have read both articles but I actually got stopped in the first article (last week). My router is a WRT54G that I have been using for several years. When I look at its Wireless screen, or any other screen, it does not mention WPS at all. Does that mean that it is too old for WPS? Is that a good thing?

Thanks, Bill
    Yes, it's a good thing.

Cisco/Linksys WRT54G has SES (Secure Easy Setup), an early version without the vulnerable PIN option: Wi-Fi routers: Oldies are goodies

SecureEasySetup, or SES
    This technology has been succeeded by the industry-standard Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
    Unfortunately, Wi-Fi Protected Setup was recently broken and has been shown to be easily breakable with brute-force attacks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecureEasySetup

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-12-22 at 20:16. Reason: italicised quote

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce, that's good news!
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks

BackTrack 5

Went through the procedure to produce a bootable Linux system with BackTrack. Rebooted my Laptop with the DVD. Got all the way to the point of entering "startx" to bring up the graphical interface, then nothing. Just a blank screen. Could not proceed.
    ACER Aspire 5733Z laptop,Intel HD Graphics, 4GB memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Congrats on a well written article about Backtrack and Reaver. It sounds like it should work if the Backtrack distro is loaded into a virtual machine running under Oracle's Virtual Box. I have a policy of running Linux only in a VM, since a virtual machine goes a long way toward protecting my Win 7 Vbox host OS. Will the procedure described in your article work from within a Virtual Box VM? It sounds like it should.

Perhaps I should just download it and try it, which would take a fair amount of time - but I am lazy. Perhaps on the other hand I should just go ahead and do it since it really won't matter if today really is the end of the world as the Mayan calendar suggests.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great article on a complicated procedure. My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 and everything works fine until I get to the step airmon-ng start wlan0. This command does not list any items below "Interface Chipset Driver", but instead it just hangs. The laptop uses the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 chip, and I am guessing BackTrack does not have the chip's drivers installed. There are quite a few hits when I Google "airmon-ng hp pavilion" so I am sure plenty of other people are having the same problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From gleaning on the Internet, I get the idea that if you run Backtrack/Reaver within a virtual machine, your wireless device must be USB connected. See http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/..._working_cards
    Last edited by gotwals; 2012-12-23 at 20:33. Reason: correct type

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several observations. First, the live linux distros use the optical drive as a read only drive, and create a read/write ram drive for the operating system. They don't touch the hard drive, although some may mount it by default (I don't know about Backtrack). It's easy enough to unmount it if you're concerned. Otherwise, your Windows installation isn't involved or at risk.

Linux support for both graphics cards and wireless devices are known issues. The symptoms described in several posts here likely reflect that. FWIW, the x-window is not needed, since everything done there can be done from the command line. Trying to get a non-supported wireless device to work is possible, but probably more trouble than worthwhile for this exercise.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Reaver retrying same key

Used wash to scan - it reported WPS Locked: No but following the process and commands in Fred's column had Reaver continually retrying the same PIN during and overnight scan.

I'm a Linux newbie and have reached the limit of my knowledge - HELP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast