Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronfed View Post
    Even though my SSID is being broadcast BT5 can't find it. Even if I search for hidden networks and input SSID it still cant find it. Guess it's having trouble finding/using my wireless card. I'm using an Alienware M18XR2. Any suggestions?

Great article BTW. Have used Gibson Research for years to "attack" my home network.
    My son had the same problem. This is what I found.

He has a D-Link DIR-615 router (I don't know what version but on login you have to use Captcha), a laptop and a desktop that he was moving from wired to wireless as he was moving it away from the router and didn't want to run cabling. The laptop would detect the SSID but the desktop wouldn't but it would find all the neighborhood SSID's. As a default, the router used auto-channel, so I disabled that and selected a channel, 3, that nobody else around was using. (I have software that detects the channels of local SSID's). After that the desktop detected the SSID and connected to the Internet once I entered the security code.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile BT5 and Reaver

Thank you Fred! This was a challenging and fun project. After adding a good BT compatible wireless card, a budget TP-Link TL-WN722N, it worked great. New router is in the works. It was also fun to work with Linux again after many years. Thanks again. Bob
    F.

New Lounger
    Thanks

BT5 can't find wireless network

I've tried this on two laptops but BT5 still can't find my network. Looks like a problem with the wireless cards. This to process is way too convoluted too
    continue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I downloaded the Back Track 5r3 iso file, burned it to a DVD and booted from it and issued the 'startx' command, I spent a little time looking at the various options that were available in the menus and noticed that Reaver was already installed in the OS. As far as I could, tell the installed version number is the same as the latest version I could find by searching for it on the web. Is it necessary (or advantageous) to use 'apt-get' to (re)install it after booting from the DVD?

I skipped the install step but otherwise followed all the other steps in the article, but it has been running for over 30 hours now. The article said it should crack the WPS in 4 to 10 hours (averaging about half of that). Does this mean my router (a Western Digital My Net N900 router) is secure?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a link to a recent article about WiFi security, may contribute something to this discussion -

http://www.howtogeek.com/132348/dont...ampaign=020113

B

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tried it twice, what does it mean?

I ran this twice each on two different routers and got similar but different results:

On one router All I got was 'WARNING: Detected AP rate limiting, waiting 60 seconds before re-checking' several hundred times.

The other router said 'WARNING: Failed to associate with [MAC ADDRESS HERE] (ESSID: NETWORK SSID HERE)' several hundred times.

both with no official looking end, like it would just keep on do this forever. Does this mean I'm secure? Or do I need to keep waiting for a Final result?

Dan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the procedure overnight on a Belkin F6D4230-4 with WPS disabled and nothing happened after the line
    [+] associated with the beacon [BSSID]

I tried it with a D-Link DIR 615 C1 (not connected to the Internet) with WPS disabled with the same result as above.

I then enabled WPS on the D-Link. It repeats similar messages as quoted in the article.
    I then have had some successful pin attempts but the failure rate for the same pin is very high.

I will leave it running.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The exercise here uses a tool to demonstrate that WPS can be more easily defeated, rather than prove relative security. After all, Reaver is just one program. ;-)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Processes "could cause trouble"

I was able to follow follow the instructions for BackTrack and then Reaver to the point that I entered "airmon-ng start wlan0" at the prompt. At that point, I got an interesting message:

Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!
    PID Name
    2593 dhclient3
    2663 dhclient3
    3345 dhclient
    Process with PID 2663 (dhclient3) is running on interface wlan0

Interface wlan0
    Chipset unknown
    Driver brcmsmac - [phy0] (monitor mode enabled on mon0)

At this point, entering "airodump-ng wlan0" at the prompt cycles through the 12 channels repeatedly (I let it run for over two hours) and returns no BSSID information on anything...and I know there are a number of networks around my house!

Any idea why nothing at all is showing up? Should I be killing some processes?

Thanks!
    Mike (GrampaMike)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampaMike View Post
    I was able to follow follow the instructions for BackTrack and then Reaver to the point that I entered "airmon-ng start wlan0" at the prompt. At that point, I got an interesting message:

Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!
    PID Name
    2593 dhclient3
    2663 dhclient3
    3345 dhclient
    Process with PID 2663 (dhclient3) is running on interface wlan0

Interface wlan0
    Chipset unknown
    Driver brcmsmac - [phy0] (monitor mode enabled on mon0)

At this point, entering "airodump-ng wlan0" at the prompt cycles through the 12 channels repeatedly (I let it run for over two hours) and returns no BSSID information on anything...and I know there are a number of networks around my house!

Any idea why nothing at all is showing up? Should I be killing some processes?

Thanks!
    Mike (GrampaMike)
    I've been away for awhile, and see there was a reply that apparently was removed by the moderators. His information wasn't exactly correct. The truth is that it has to do with the support of the Linux version your using for the adapter installed on the machine, not an adapter issue per se. In fact, this error "not supported" may return if you're operating with insufficient permissions, although with Backtrack, that is not the case, as you're operating as "root".

There should have been a disclaimer in the article that Linux support for wireless, especially laptops, has been problematic, but you could Google your adapter to see if there are workarounds. Some people have had success using a Windows driver and Ndiswrapper, but it's not a sure thing either.

The dhclient processes reflect the command that is attempting to get an IP from the DHCP server. Obviously, that won't happen if the wireless devices aren't connected (password defeated). It's not interfering with anything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What you suggest is indeed possible, but I wonder how many digital delinquents and delinquent adults will take the time to read the article and then construct the Linux system with BackTrack? And if they've got the urge to do this, they probably have figured it out already.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Can't believe that anyone would widely broadcast this kind of information. Yes, it may help a few to lock up their router security but its my bet that it will open the gateway for others with less honest intents to 'give it a go' ...
    Surely machine gunning is not the wise way to approach sensitive material and as for the comment ... Please don't use Reaver for any purpose other than testing your own router's security! ... ​what an open invitation!
    What you suggest is indeed possible, but I wonder how many digital delinquents and delinquent adults will take the time to read the article and then construct the Linux system with BackTrack? And if they've got the urge to do this, they probably have figured it out already.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A defeated password doesn't necessarily mean "game over". The savvy user will employ other measures to make access more challenging. This article doesn't cover those; it simply illustrates why WPS should be disabled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123