Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird - pictures not forwarded

I've been using Thunderbird for some years and have on occasions received non-relevant emails where there's been pictures and only boxes are showing, but this time I had quite an interesting series of pictures in the email - that is not as attachments - of a fishing boat being thrashed around in a storm.

Both the post in my Sent file and those received by the recipients have failed to include the pictures, only blank boxes.

Why ? And is there some setting that is causing this.

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks
    If the email you received has only a box showing rather than the picture, then it is likely that you were sent a link to the picture rather than the picture itself, and the link is broken (it no longer points to the picture). This is confirmed by the fact that those you forwarded the email to also see a box rather than the picture. If this is the case, there's not really anything you can do about it.

If that isn't the problem, then it is possible that the picture is in a format that Windows doesn't know how to deal with. The filename extension (that part of the name which appears after the last dot) might not be associated with any program. You'll know whether or not this is true, if you right click on the picture (that is, on the blank box) and then save it. Then go to My Computer and double click on what you saved. If it asks you which program to use to open the file, then you know that there is no program which Windows associates with that type of picture. If you'll specify a program, and if it successfully opens with that program, then your problem is solved.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply but in this case the picture is in the body of the email that I received and there is no indication of a web link or a mysterious picture file format. What I didn't say is that the box in the Sent file is the size of the original picture; if I right click and Save Image on the incoming mail where the pictures are there, I can port them across into any photo viewer - try to do that on the Sent file and it just says there is nothing there.

Now that might well indicate a web link, but then why would the Sent mail show the photo physical outline but no photo ?

Rob

Thanks
    You can copy and paste a picture into the body of an email, rather than going through the process of attaching the picture in the "correct" way. If you simply copy and paste it, sometimes it carries through, and sometimes it doesn't. My guess is that it was simply copied and pasted, and therefore the results are not guaranteed.