Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Need a Windows 8 demo?

Sure, here you go. Demo is said to be done in a very popular store in Lisbon. Can't be sure, but it does look like it (I have been there before):

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2012-12-19)

Thanks
    Oh no, it can't be that simple, can it? Nice find on this "small" demonstration.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At first I thought all he was doing was moving the tiles around like a sliding block puzzle. However, a Metro expert (or a Portuguese language expert, maybe!) tells me that he uses the touch-screen password system, switches between Metro apps, and closes a Metro app. You've got to be pretty quick to spot those, IMHO.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, he starts with a picture password example (I use that too!) and does what you describe. The demo is more for the customers at the store, of course, but using the kids was a funny way to try to demystify Windows 8.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I had just the opposite thought, like the kid had to come around to that side of the store to demonstrate the modern U.I. from his regular post at the Android demonstration table, because who knows touch better than kids by now?

Funny would have been the guy getting the "assistant," from a little side room; 80 year old grandmum with her feet up, watching a show on the telli and having a heater, annoyed that she's been called into action, no signs of sophistication at all about her, she trundles in, sees a customer trying to use a mouse, close up of her rolling her eyes, exasperated, pushes him aside and takes a couple swipes at the screen, does what the customer was trying to do, grabs the customer's wrist and pulls their hand toward the screen, lets go, shrugs, and off she goes again to get back to here story.

Totally the wrong image and message they would want to present of course, but that would be funny.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Portugese must have a different view of child labor...
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So do we think this is for real, or a scripted and staged advert?

Administrator
    Thanks
    No doubt that the kid knew how to handle the device, but it's pretty clear that the whole situation was meant to advertise the "easiness" of using Windows 8. And no, the kid does not work there, school is mandatory until the 12th grade in Portugal and kids cannot be hired until they complete it or complete their 18th birthday .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib I was teasing. It was pretty evident by the style of the commercial that it was meant to show how easy Windows 8 is. Its a great commercial. In the US people tend to get overworked about issues like this instead of just seeing the humor in it. This awesome Chevy Corvette commercial was pulled the day after it first aired because some parents groups got their undies in a bind over it because they thought it encouraged wreckless driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D95xWahRSM
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-12-21 at 14:27.
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    ruirib I was teasing. It was pretty evident by the style of the commercial that it was meant to show how easy Windows 8 is. Its a great commercial. In the US people tend to get overworked about issues like this instead of just seeing the humor in it. This awesome Chevy Corvette commercial was pulled the day after it first aired because some parents groups got their undies in a bind over it because they thought it encouraged wreckless driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D95xWahRSM
    I know you were .