New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows8 on new system with uEFI BIOS

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. To my dismay, it came with uEFI BIOS and there doesn't appear to be any way around that to allow something other than Win8 DVDs or Flash Sticks to be be booted. When attempted, a message is given indicating no boot device was found. Manufacturer was no help, and several forums I found indicated that unless the manufacture allowed it to be turned off, this "Secure Boot" option would not allow anything other than Win8 to be cold booted. There was no option on this laptop.

Is this all correct? I contacted Acronis to verify their recovery would work with the 2013 edition in this environment, but have not heard anything - their web information is not very clear on this issue. I feel that without allowing standalone tools, or unix type CD/DVDs to be used, this system is not for me, so currently I intend to return the notebook. I have found too many times that the standalone virus scan tools are a life saver.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can have an Acronis boot flash stick. Will the laptop boot from it? You can easily try it, anyway. Just make one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MANDATORY: Enable/Disable Secure Boot. On non-ARM systems, it is required to implement the ability to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup. A physically present user must be allowed to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup without possession of Pkpriv. Programmatic disabling of Secure Boot either during Boot Services or after exiting EFI Boot Services MUST NOT be possible. Disabling Secure MUST NOT be possible on ARM systems.
    Windows Hardware Certification requirements for Windows 8 Certified Systems

Bruce

P.S. Any reason you're not telling us the make/model/edition?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will this work: flash the bios to a Win7 version, then boot from, say, a DiskImage cd, restore the Win8 image, then reflash the bios back to the appropriate Win8 version? I have an Asus that came with Win8 preinstalled, and the bios does not have any way to enable legacy boot, and it does not "see" the dvd drive. Asus's tech support has been quite helpless. The only way I can get anything to work is to use Asus's F9 boot, which goes to what looks like a recovery environment, except that the screens are lower resolution than getting there via Win8, and, once in there, I can get to the option to insert recovery media, although it doesn't like the repair disk made by Windows. It doesn't like a Win7 install dvd either, so it may not be "seeing" the dvd. I had bought DiskImage once it was supposedly Win8 compatible since it worked so well with earlier versions of Windows, like Acronis and some others, but my images are useless if I can't find some way to restore them, and Laplink's tech support has been less than helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Arth,

Macrium Reflect's Win PE Boot CD/USB Key works just fine with UEFI Bios. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2013-11-18)

Thanks
    Any PC you buy with the Windows 8 sticker on it will be UEFI/GPT. There are a number of manufacturers who still produce and sell Windows 7 PC's, but generally must be ordered online.

You should be able to reboot from Windows 8 into a boot options menu, and from there you should be able to select "legacy", though it may have some other name.

Use the charms bar to click on "Settings", and from there select "Change PC settings", and on the next screen click "General". Scroll to the bottom where you'll find "Advanced startup" and click the "Restart now" button.

From this point, it depends on how your OEM has configured UEFI and the terminology used.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-08-19 at 21:49.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotSlave View Post
    Will this work: flash the bios to a Win7 version, then boot from, say, a DiskImage cd, restore the Win8 image, then reflash the bios back to the appropriate Win8 version?
    No. Windows 7 supports UEFI/GPT. Also, the firmware must be a hybrid UEFI/BIOS in order to use BIOS/MBR. If Windows 8 was OEM pre-installed, it is not a hybrid firmware, but UEFI only.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I did it again. While writing my reply in post #6 I considered booting into Windows 8 for a step-by-step, then realized I was already booted into Windows 8.

I'm really getting my money's worth from that $3 for StartIsBack. I've done this a time or two now on my laptop, as well (the other of the 2 for $3 StartIsBack licenses).

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    My Win 8 looks and feels like Win 7 as well, but only after I added a Start Menu replacement. There are just a couple of things I used the Start Menu for and I did miss it for those couple of items. I can still go to the Start Screen whenever I wish very easily using the Win key.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    Manufacturer was no help, and several forums I found indicated that unless the manufacture allowed it to be turned off, this "Secure Boot" option would not allow anything other than Win8 to be cold booted. There was no option on this laptop.
    arth,
    Hello.. I understand your problem with "Secure Boot" ..This is MS's next salvo at trying to stop "Piracy" of their OS's. It seems that the ability to switch this off is not universal.. I would try this just to be sure .

1. Enter BIOS and look for a Security "Tab" ...If there is one click on it and set it to enable ( or whatever the choice)

2. You now then might be presented with a choice for "Secure Boot" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Macrium Reflect's Win PE Boot CD/USB Key works just fine with UEFI Bios. HTH
    "Geekster"

Hello.. This is not the problem (UEFI) ... It's the "Secure Boot" issue that prevents the running of some software (at boot time) . Apparently some Win 8\ OEM 's do not allow you to switch this off ... I would be willing to wager that in the future that no Win 8\ OEM's will allow this . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotSlave View Post
    Will this work: flash the bios to a Win7 version
    ParrotSlave'

Hello.... Interesting question Let me give some of my experience "Flashing Bios"

1. Yes you can Flash your BIOS to another Version .. Have done this several times .. Once ended up "Bricking" my PC ..The only thing that saved me was having access to another PC that could run a EEPROM "burner" to Flash it back ..

2. American Megatrends Version 207 VBIOS 2137.I14K 560.004 is the version for our "Windows 7 \ 64" Pro Asus S56C This is a UEFI BIOS with no "Secure Boot" Good luck...

PS: If you try this please post back ...if you still can..
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-20 at 15:44.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    "Geekster"

Hello.. This is not the problem (UEFI) ... It's the "Secure Boot" issue that prevents the running of some software (at boot time) . Apparently some Win 8\ OEM 's do not allow you to switch this off ... I would be willing to wager that in the future that no Win 8\ OEM's will allow this . Regards Fred
    Fred,

Sorry my mistake for not finishing the post. It works fine with UEFI & Secure Boot as my new Dell XPS 8700 has both. You just need to check the box when creating the Macrium PE Rescue Media. HTH
    MRUEFI.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, I have the same make/model of PC as you & Macrium rocks! Was able to clone the OEM 1TB HDD to a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO with the app. Macrium downloaded the needed WinPE files from MS to create the ISO, which I boot from a no longer needed 1GB SDHC card. Good to keep these when upgrading to larger cards, they can be used just as Flash drives.

On the subject, when one creates needed boot discs (CD/DVD's or Flash drives), the app sees that the computer is UEFI & will create the proper media. So far, this has been my experience with the computer.

Therefore, it's important to create bootable media with the computer that one wants to use it on. Bootable media created on BIOS/MBR computers often won't work on those with UEFI/GPT.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8