Lounger
    Thanks

Can I have Outlook on more than one PC?

I'm in the process of switching to a new (Windows 7) computer. Out of curiosity, is it possible to have Outlook 2007 (different license keys) installed on two PCs, such that both of them will receive the same e-mails from the same ISP, or do I have to choose one or the other?

I think I know the answer ("no, you need to pick one or the other"), but am checking to make sure.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You are wrong, actually, because you can. You just need to configure each account in Outlook not to delete emails unless you actually delete them yourself, to make sure each installation receives all the emails you have not deleted.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like it'll work. With e-mails not deleted from the server (till I'm good and ready), then if both PCs are on and connected to the Internet, one PC would receive new e-mail, and then the new PC would receive the same e-mail when its turn comes.

This is one case where I'll be happy to be wrong , as it would considerably ease the transition to the new PC.

My plan is to get the existing PST file over on the new PC. The concern was ending up in a situation during the transition where one computer has some new e-mails and the other computer has other new e-mails.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2012-12-20 at 11:52. Reason: clarification

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Glad I could help .

Thanks
    Set up your email as imap. Once you have done that, all installs of Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, as well as webmail, will always be synchronized.

The only negative to using imap is that all of your email is always on the "server", which means that if you have a lot of email in your mailbox, you may max out on your size limit. Fortunately, with imap you have two sets of email folders -- your "online" folders and your "offline" folders. If you are getting close to maxximg out on your size limit, move some of your email from your online to your offline folders. Once you do that, the email that you moved will be available only on the computer where the offline folders are.

Lounger
    Thanks
    For security purposes, I prefer to take my e-mails off the server as soon as possible, but if for any reason I can't get this transition to work as desired, then I may go for IMAP as a temporary alternative while I sort things out -- so, thanks for the suggestion!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I have a sort of similar situation:

I have an imap server and 3 computers (laptop, home desktop and office desktop) each with outlook set up to read from the imap server (1and1). The problem is that the imap server has limited space and I often get large email attachments so I am constantly moving files to the offline folders. But I would like the 3 Outlooks to be synced with the same offline content as well so that I can have the exact same info on all 3 computers. What is a good way to go about this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoStar View Post

I have an imap server and 3 computers (laptop, home desktop and office desktop) each with outlook set up to read from the imap server (1and1). The problem is that the imap server has limited space and I often get large email attachments so I am constantly moving files to the offline folders. But I would like the 3 Outlooks to be synced with the same offline content as well so that I can have the exact same info on all 3 computers. What is a good way to go about this?
    Use something like SkyDrive.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Use something like SkyDrive.

Joe
    I have read that SkyDrive (or Dropbox, Google Drive, etc) do not work well with PST's because there is too much risk of corrupting the file and because Outlook puts a lock on the file which can cause the programs to crash.

I am thinking of using Gmail as an "imap server".
    Basically I will have 1and1 forward incoming messages to a Gmail account.
    Then set up Outlook to sync with Gmail rather than 1and1.
    But still have Outlook send through 1and1's smtp so that people will receive from my real email address rather than my gmail.
    I assume I can then have multiple computers set up this way and they will all have the same data.
    I can then go into 1and1 and manually delete messages every few weeks.
    Has anybody tried something like this or see any possible flaws in this idea?
    Also, I am not sure how/if this would work with contacts and calendar entries which I would also like to have synced between the Outlooks on each computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do not attempt to store a PST file on SkyDrive. I thought you were worried about accessing the attachments from multiple PCs.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To follow up on this, I started using Gmail with imap. I set my 1and1 email to forward to a Gmail account and set each Outlook to read that Gmail account using imap. I also set each Outlook as well as Gmail to send using 1and1's smtp rather than Gmail and save the sent email in Gmail's sent mail folder. So now all 3 computers are synced - I have all sent and received emails online and on all 3 computers. The only issue is Gmail's space limit (a lot bigger than 1and1's 2GB but still will run out eventually). I will eventually have to either pay for more Gmail space or start archiving offline some of the larger or older emails.

I still don't have a good solution to sync the calendar and contacts though a quick search of this forum has brought up some possibilities to look into.

Thanks

Sounds to me like your only solution is to request more space from your email provider. That's the only way to keep it all synchronized among the various computers.

Thanks
    To follow up on this, I started using Gmail with imap. I set my 1and1 email to forward to a Gmail account and set each Outlook to read that Gmail account using imap. I also set each Outlook as well as Gmail to send using 1and1's smtp rather than Gmail and save the sent email in Gmail's sent mail folder. So now all 3 computers are synced - I have all sent and received emails online and on all 3 computers. The only issue is Gmail's space limit (a lot bigger than 1and1's 2GB but still will run out eventually). I will eventually have to either pay for more Gmail space or start archiving offline some of the larger or older emails.

I still don't have a good solution to sync the calendar and contacts though a quick search of this forum has brought up some possibilities to look into.
    I think your calendar sync issues are related to the fact that you are forwarding your email from 1and1 to Gmail, and then pointing everything to your Gmail account. I belive that if you would set up the primary email account (1and1) with enough space, and if you would then point everything to the primary email account (1and1), your problems would be resolved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Sounds to me like your only solution is to request more space from your email provider. That's the only way to keep it all synchronized among the various computers.
    Of course that is one solution, but I was looking for something cheaper. Using Gmail imap was a good alternative since we already were grandfathered in to the $5.99 per year for 30GB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I think your calendar sync issues are related to the fact that you are forwarding your email from 1and1 to Gmail, and then pointing everything to your Gmail account. I belive that if you would set up the primary email account (1and1) with enough space, and if you would then point everything to the primary email account (1and1), your problems would be resolved.
    How would that resolve the problem? 1and1 doesn't handle the calendar, the calendar is part of the Outlook personal folder. Perhaps 1and1 has a calendar feature as part of their imap, I will have to look into that.