3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Today Microsoft rereleased update KB2753842 to resolve an issue with

OpenType fonts not properly rendering after the original update was
    installed.

All customers to install the rereleased update, even those who have successfully installed the original KB2753842 update.

More Information:

MS12-078 - Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow
    Remote Code Execution (2783534)
    -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS12-078

KB2753842 - MS12-078: Description of the security update for the Windows
    OpenType Compact Font Format (CFF) driver
    -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2753842 .
    ========
    Microsoft doesn't rerelease updates often, and when it does it means it missed something in v1. This was causing issues with various programs including PowerPoint and graphics programs. If you installed v1 you'll need to install v2.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2012-12-20),frapper (2012-12-21),ruirib (2012-12-20),satrow (2012-12-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After installation of kb2753842 my desktop setting changed from Classic to the default. All the files/folders i had on my desktop were hidden as well as the screen resolution was changed.
    I did a restore and recovered my old settings.
    Is there anyway to "freeze" my setup so that it won't change if i install this patch?
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have two computers LAPTOP is running Vista 32 bit and DESKTOP is running Vista 64 bit. The last few days my desktop has been messing with my QuickLaunch on the taskbar and then yesterday the laptop started in too. I like to make my taskbar double thick and the top row show me what windows i have open and the bottom I have for the programs I use a lot...since this update it keeps putting the QL to the right over by the clock. I did a system restore on LAPTOP and that seemed to fix it and this morning it did the update but so far so good as it leaving the QL to the left like I like it. The DESKTOP reinstalled the update and it now moved my QL again. So far that is the only problem I see and would like them to fix this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    XP SP3 system, up to date. Put KB2753842 on Thursday evening 12/20. Started immediately having desktop problems on log in, took minutes for the desktop to appear, also keyboard was locked out. Restored to prior image, pre KB2753842, no problems. Put KB2753842 on again, problems re-occurred. Have just finished restoring the image again, have not applied KB2753842, so far no problems. Do not plan on re-installing KB2753842 at this point.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wondering, should we uninstall the first patch dated 12-10-2012 and then install this new one? Or should we just install this on top of the old one?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Caused Trouble with Firefox

On an otherwise fully up-to-date W7 Home Premium set up, I had trouble with this update.

Using Firefox 17.0.1 (in a user account) I lost the ability to store configuration information and everytime I started Firefox the "home" pages for each installed extension was loaded. I could also not get a list of firefox extensions (the extensions tab in the Tools>addons page was empty). To solve this I had to delete all firefox related 'extensions.*' files in AppData/Roaming. This gave me back the list of extensions (all disabled). I re-enabled them, restarted Firefox and was back to where I wanted to be.

Uninstalling KB2753842 and then reinstalling it reproduced this problem.

(Thunderbird 17.0 seems unaffected)