Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question System Image Backup fails

I have a strange (to me) backup problem.

1. When I try to create a backup using Windows Backup, it fails because it tells me there's a problem with my "System E:" drive. However, my PC has only one hard drive, C:. Windows backup offers no option to create an image backup without including the D:, and E: drives, which are all partitions on the C: drive. So I can't use Windows Backup to do a system image backup.

2. When trying to use Acronis TrueImage Home (the full version), the free Paragon System Backup and the free EaseUS ToDo backup they also fail for what amounts to the same problem.

So it looks like I can't do a system image backup as long as the "System E:" drive is part of the backup.

Finally, I've tried Ocster 1-Click Backup, which also won't do the system backup with the E: drive included, but it will allow me to deselect the E: drive, and then it does a successful image backup, with subsequent successful incremental backups.

However, I now have a question: will a system image backup of just my C: drive (which obviously contains the D: and E: drives) be sufficient to do a full system restore (from the provided CD rescue disc), considering that I've excluded the D: and E: drives?

Can anyone explain the ins and outs of this problem and the (apparent) solution I've found? Since I have an "all-in-one" desktop PC that has room for only one internal HD, I have no way of testing the Ocster 1-Click restore feature without risking losing everything if it doesn't work.

Thank you in advance.

Frank D

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Frank,

???What are you backing up TO ???

Zig

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2012-12-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm backing up to a 500 GB external USB (WD Elements) drive, which I've been using with no problems for about two years.

Thanks
    Hi Frank, can you post an image like this example. Make an Image and post it.docx

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2012-12-20)

Thanks
    You do NOT have to Image the whole disk when you create an Image with Acronis. You can choose any or all partitions during the Image setup.

Acronis True Image 2013: (just check mark the partition you wish to Image)

ChoosePartitionToImage.jpg

I also have both Acronis TIH 2010 and 2011 and both give a similar screen when you start the Image.

You can also boot from the Acronis Rescue Disk (you did burn an Acronis Rescue Disk didn't you) and create your Image from there thusly eliminating Windows from the equation. This is how I always create my Images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2012-12-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RodeRunner,

Here's the image. Drive H: is a RAM drive I use just for Firefox's cache.

Capture.JPG

Frank

Thanks
    If the imaging application is wanting to include another partition, it usually means that some components of the boot process reside there.
    Open an elevated command prompt and type "BCDedit" to see where bootmgr resides.

bootmgr.jpg

I recommend that you include the system "E" drive in the backup if bootmgr is there.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-20 at 21:15.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico,

Thanks for that info. Yes, I burned the rescue CD for Acronis TIH as well as the one for Ocster. Please note that I have no trouble with using the restore CD -- I just can't do the full system image backup as long as the E: drive is included.

I have used Acronis before this latest happening, and can revert to it as you suggest, but at this point I'm favoring using Ocster (a) because it's so simple and does just what I want with no tweaking other than to deselect the D: and E: drives, and (b) because of the following: (http://www.ocster.com/ocster-1-click-backup/en#details) It uses "reverse incremental storage (block level), a special kind of incremental storage that avoids the drawbacks of normal incremental or differential backup algorithms."

With this feature, instead of the first full backup being the big one and each subsequent incremental being a smaller summary of only the current time period's changes, with Ocster the last incremental backup is the big one and has all the latest disk changes incorporated into it, so that the last one is the only one you really need for a full restore, and restoring is certain and quick (at least that's what they promise, so it yet remains to be seen). And if you want to revert to an earlier backup you can do that by choosing from a list sorted by date. You can also restore individual files from the image backup by having the program mount the image as a separate disk.

It's a choice I'm making at the moment, hoping it's a good one in the long run.

Frank
    Last edited by frankd14612; 2012-12-20 at 21:21.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,

Here is the data from the BCDedit command:

Clipboard01.jpg

It appears that everything is on the C: drive.

Does that give us what we need to know? Thanks!

Frank
    Last edited by frankd14612; 2012-12-20 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Hi Frank, Unplug all connected drives unless your using one of them to make your back-up image.
    If you have Acronis installed, do a 'One Click' back-up from within Windows.
    -
    Copied from Acronis User Guide:-

To be better prepared for a disaster, you need to make a full backup of your system disk (or at the
    very least the partition containing Windows and your applications). To make this task easier, Acronis
    has provided the One-Click Backup feature that allows you to back up the system partition and MBR
    during the first start of the newly installed program.

Thanks
    If your boot manager (bootmgr) is located on the "C" drive there should be no reason for any imaging application to not exclude drive "E",
    unless some other component of the OS is reliant on that drive to function.
    [The top of your command box detailing bootmgr is not visible]

What is in the "E" and "H" drives?
    If "H" is a USB drive unplug it.

Can you effectively remove them and recover their respective spaces for the "C" drive without messing up your ability to do a factory restore via the "D" drive?

I agree with Roderunner, you should at least have the entire disk imaged too in the event of an issue.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-20 at 23:24.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,

I did a repair install of Acronis (just to be sure it was in good working order) and tried to do a One-Click backup to my G: (external USB) drive. Acronis refused to recognize my USB drive and insisted that I use my DVD drive, which of course I would not do. The "used space" on my C:, D:, and E: drives (the total amount to be backed up) is 160 GB and the free space on my 500 GB USB drive is 175 GB. So technically there's enough space, but Acronis doesn't think so. The used space on my USB drive is 280 GB, which is the aggregate size of the current backups of my two PCs, and I'm not about to delete them just to run a test of Acronis One-Click backup. So, for me Acronis at the present time is a No-Go.

Frank

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,

Sorry about the command box. Here it is again, showing all the data:

Attachment 33622

It looks like the boot manager is on the E: drive.

The E: drive contains the following:

Attachment 33623

The H: drive is a RAM drive that I use to hold the contents of the Firefox cache. It doesn't figure in any backup.

At this point it looks like I have no choice but to delete my current C: drive backups from the external USB drive (G) to free up space and try the One-Click Acronis backup again.

Frank
    Last edited by frankd14612; 2012-12-21 at 10:19.

Thanks
    Frank, this is my method of working.
    My 2 pc's have rather small hdd's (1 in each), My C: Drive's are 45gb each with nothing I can't replace put in them. I have 4 large external hdd's where I store everything (drag & drop or copy & paste) I don't want to lose. I also have some copies on D: Drive (Partition) for quick access to them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2012-12-21)

Thanks
    Frank, this is my method of working.
    My 2 pc's have rather small hdd's (1 in each), My C: Drive's are 45gb each with nothing I can't replace put in them. I have 4 large external hdd's where I store everything (drag & drop or copy & paste) I don't want to lose. I also have some copies on D: Drive (Partition) for quick access to them.
    P.S. Do you know what size your back-up will be?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

frankd14612 (2012-12-21)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast