New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I change a txt file to a quote delimited/separted file?

I have been given a txt file and need to change it into a quote delimited file or quote separated file. How in the heck to I do that?

Thank you,
    Tina

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DPMarketing View Post
    I have been given a txt file and need to change it into a quote delimited file or quote separated file. How in the heck to I do that?

Thank you,
    Tina
    Tina:

Not having gone to the link that thomasjk posted (everything you need may be there), let me take a stab at it.

My guess is that your text file contains data, like a spreadsheet. If so, then you can use Excel to do the conversion. Excel has some very handy features to do just that.

First, make a copy of the file just in case it gets messed up.

Now open the file using Word. Look at it, but don't save it. We simply want to see what you have to deal with.

I'm guessing that you will have rows and columns of data, and that you will be able to see a pattern to the way it is laid out. For example, the 2nd column starts in position 10, the 3rd column starts in position 13, etc. Or, there is a comma or other character which separates the data items. If you can find a pattern, then you're in luck. You can then import it into Excel and save it as an Excel spreadsheet. Once you have successfully saved it as an Excel spreadsheet, you can then export it into comma-delimited, quote-delimited, colon-delimited, or whatever format you want.

(Comma-delimited means that there is a comma between each data item, and that there are no other commas in the document.)

Please reply to this post and let me know if I'm on the right track here.