Thanks

Consumer Reports makes the case for Windows 7

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I put this in perspective. Consumer Reports is the same rag that has been caught more than once rigging tests, has bashed the Chevy Corvette as not having enough cargo space, and giving bad marks to PU trucks because they ride, well, like trucks.
    Chuck

Thanks
    If you think about who Consumer Reports is (regular folks, not geeks), then their reviews of computers and computer-related stuff can be informative.

In fact, I agreed with their premise, assuming the PC World author accurately reported on it, that unless you have a "touch" device, you're more likely to go with Windows 7; and that offices who currently have XP will likely upgrade to 7, not to 8.

In fact, I predict that most offices will go with 7, while most consumers will go with 8.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My vote : I am all for hurdling W-7, I run W-8 exactly like W-7 but it is an improvement. It runs all my old apps better than W-7 did. My take. JP.

Thanks
    Here, here, JP. I second the motion!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I didn't see anything outrageous in the surmisings, still just a prediction but it seems sound.

Instead of actually bridging the gap between touch and traditional desktop though, Sinofsky left a fair gap to jump because if the President of a company isn't the one to insist on W8, who in their right mind is going to suggest it when their hide is then on the line if even simple things go wrong, and W7 is right there and a very well known quality and quantity?

Not I says the IT dept. in uncertain economic times.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-12-21 at 19:45.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, you wrote : I second the motion! I say : Great minds always think alike.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    while most consumers will go with 8.
    Well, if they get a new computer, pretty much a done deal, and if they don't have a touch interface to work with, will just have to deal with it. Manyh should like it as is as well because an unknown percentage doesn't need the desktop interface.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been a Windows user since the early days of DOS. I've gone through all the iterations of Windows, having been a beta tester regarding security on W98, and now have W8 on my wife's new laptop. The laptop is powerful and fine. W8 is a pain. Who came up with the idea of 'charms?' W8, even though it has a smaller memory/core footprint is gimmicky, IMO. I'd be happy to go back to W7 on her laptop and so would she. M'soft's developers apparently never checked with business and home users when they developed this UI piece of crap.

Thanks
    I too have been a user since DOS, I've used 3.1, 3.11, NT4, 95, 98, ME (worked fine till I reinstalled it after a hard disk format, then it was a pile of poo), XP (seems very tired and slow now), Vista (on my wife's laptop - upgraded to 7, a good move). My current desktop was 7, and I've upgraded to 8. And I love it. I've worked out how to use the mouse to move around quickly (still use the desktop for 'classic' Windows apps, plus the new apps (still rather immature, but I suspect that will change rapidly)). I can understand businesses only going to 7 from XP - it's a big change and people will have a steep learning curve. But by the time 9 comes out, many (most) people will have experience of the changed interface on their home PCs and it so it will be easier for businesses then. So my conclusion, I love 8, I think 7 is great as well. If you don't like 8 stick with 7, but calling 8 names isn't helpful. Roll on better apps (but the store will have to improve its ability to find stuff).

Back to lurking!