Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading Firefox

I am am using Firefox 10.0.2. The latest version is 17.0.1. I have consistently refused to update to anything after 10.0.2 becuase of what is reported as an unresolved issue relating to Windows (I am runnng Windows 7), and I quote:

"The use of Microsoft System Restore functionality shortly after updating Firefox my prevent future updates. (730285)"

Is this issue ever going to be resolved, and whose problem is it: Window's or Mozilla's?

Or should I just switch to another browser?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catxv For This Useful Post:

Papa Lee (2013-01-10)

Thanks
    Catxv,

I think this is a very machine specific problem. I have several machines desktop & laptop running Win 7 and have never had a problem with updates. All machines are currently using 17.0.1 and have been upgraded all along the way. I usually update to the latest version as soon as it goes production. I NEVER install betas. YMMV

An additional thought, if you are leary just take Image backups before each update then you can always recover if problems arise.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You are 7 'versions' of Firefox out-of-date, how many times have you used System Restore in that time? How many of those times were immediately before or after installing your 'Patch Tuesday' Windows Updates?

I'd call it pretty much a non-issue. To update Firefox manually (which you really need to do - security fixes are issued for good reason), download the latest version, close Firefox, wait ~12 seconds, run new installer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Retired Geek, but the issue is raised by Firefox itself in its download information for every update since 10.0.2 and reported each time as "Unresolved". I have only one computer, so I would rather wait until Firefox resolves the issue … if ever! Did you read the 730285 that Firefox refers to?
    catxv

Thanks
    The 'issue' is no more than a warning - IF you update Firefox, update Windows AND use System Restore, ALL in a very short time-frame, you may be affected by it.

You face many more risks, much more often, by using a browser that is so outdated!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    download the latest version, close Firefox, wait ~12 seconds, run new installer.
    Better yet, download the latest version, uninstall the problematic version, log out and back in and install the latest version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since when I say,since when I say does anyone,anywhere,or even at anytime ever believe all that is written? A little common since will take one far at times when it comes to the computer.And the belief that there are those here that truly do attempt to help and enlighten the masses should always be looked upon as good,not evil,and that they somehow don't know what best serves you as well as your answer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redeye683 View Post
    Since when I say,since when I say does anyone,anywhere,or even at anytime ever believe all that is written? A little common since will take one far at times when it comes to the computer.And the belief that there are those here that truly do attempt to help and enlighten the masses should always be looked upon as good,not evil,and that they somehow don't know what best serves you as well as your answer.
    Pardon??
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I have this theory, of which I am coming very close to proving, it is this:
    "In most people education and common sense are inversely proportional."

Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you don't even want to say common sense, what you probably really mean is good sense. Common sense merely intimates the leanings of the majority and I know of plenty of instances when common sense is NOT good sense. It just makes good sense to say good sense and not common sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    I have this theory, of which I am coming very close to proving, it is this:
    "In most people education and common sense are inversely proportional."

I take offense to this since I have a college degree. I think you'll find the per cent of the population with common sense the same with or without a degree.

Jerry

Thanks
    "The problem with common sense is it isn't!"
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, I was going to say just the opposite, the problem with common sense is that it is common! Which doesn't tell us if it's good or bad, or indifferent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Well, you don't even want to say common sense, what you probably really mean is good sense. Common sense merely intimates the leanings of the majority and I know of plenty of instances when common sense is NOT good sense. It just makes good sense to say good sense and not common sense.
    I would define "Common Sense" to be those things that are intuitive to all or "intuition". My theory is that in some people, this is replaced with what they perceive to be something better or maybe the intuition is dismissed if it has not also been part of the education? Like any theory there needs to be much discussion, study and examples that either prove or disprove the theory.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I take offense to this since I have a college degree. I think you'll find the per cent of the population with common sense the same with or without a degree.

Jerry
    Please do not be offended in this.
    Did your college degree not teach you to read the "WHOLE" theory before replying? You may not be part of the "most people" category.
    However your reply may be indicative of me being incorrect in this assumption.
    I may need to add this post to the proof positive column.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast