Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB ports cause system crash

My USB ports can do something yours can't. They can cause my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) to crash.

Here's my story. The computer I bought over 5 years ago came with a set of 2 USB 1.0 ports at the back and another set of 2 on the front. After some time, one of the front ports stopped working--if I plugged in a device, nothing happened. That was inconvenient, but not too serious. After a couple of years, I had an additional card installed in the computer hosting 4 more ports, this time USB 2.0. I first started seeing system crashes when I plugged a thumb drive into a 4-port hub (USB 2.0) that I'd connected to one of my new 2.0 ports. This seems to happen mostly with large-capacity thumb drives of 16- or 32-GB. I tried plugging the large-capacity thumb drive directly into the one good USB 1.0 port at the front of the computer, but it crashed the system, too. Now I have to reach behind the computer and use one of the 4 USB 2.0 ports every time I want to use a large-capacity thumb drive.

When I've talked to people about this, nobody seems to have ever heard of this happening.

I almost returned a brand new printer because I found that it would print and photocopy, and the scanner would activate, but I got an error message telling me the scanner could not connect to the computer (weird, because I could print). I went through a lengthy trouble-shooting process with the manufacturers of the printer, who were sure it was a software problem and who said nothing about USB ports. Finally I thought of trying a different port, so I disconnected the printer from one the the 4 USB 2.0 ports and plugged it instead into one of the original 2 USB 1.0 ports at the back of the computer. Problem solved.

So you can see I've worked around this problem, so I'm not looking for a solution. But what I'm interested in is understanding what was going on, and understanding why nobody else seems to have had similar difficulties with their USB ports.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your 4 port hub with its own power supply?
    If not maybe it is pulling more power than the USB2 port can handle.
    It is also possible your PSU is not powerful enough or faulty.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    we assume that USB ports are always going to work.

They do a short out and those little plastic inserts will come loose.

One of the things you have the check is that your drivers are compatible with your operating system. I have a four port USB PCI card and have noticed that from time to time they do go bad. They also have their own drivers sometimes. If you are using XP, you will need the driver CD, but if you're running W7, the drivers should kick in if the card is W7 compatible.

If you have an internal USB card, you are usually better off with one that has an additional power connections such as a Molex connection because the devices that you connect with do draw power. I also agree that you should check your power supply.

If you have USB 1.0, you may find that there are compatibility issues with your devices. Printers can still run on USB 1.0, for the most part, but many of them will tell you on the box that they require a USB 2.0 as a minimum. The power supply issue is often overlooked because even though your printers and scanners have their own power supply, pushing the data to them has power requirements of its own. A 450 W power supply doesn't go as far as you think it does.

If you have a number of devices connected, you might want to upgrade your power supply.

I'dl also look at replacing your USB connections from time to time. The other thing that happens is that your USB cables go bad. You do not need the top of line USB goldplated cables, but from time to time the cables will go bad which is why you don't want to pay more for them than you have to.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. Read the following:
    I HAD USB mouse, which causes the error, especially when it was plugged.
    (I have detected that after testing the BIOS option for USB enable/disable).
    So, i unplagged it, and then with LAPTOP's built in mouse, i browsed INTERNET and i founded solutions at -

1) http://en.community.dell.com/dell-gr.../19249216.aspx

2) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orum=itproxpsp (in the middle of the topic, someone said TO roll back to old USB instalation state, and that solved problem !!!!!)

My FIX was following:
    after i uninstalled the MOUSE Driver from DEVICE MANAGER, then i copied usbport.sys,usbui.dll, usbhub.sys, usbuhci.sys files from
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0010\DriverFi les\i386
    to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\files

and after that, i pluged my mouse, and windows works normally!!

Thanks
    Good troubleshooting! Thanks for sharing the solution with us.