Thread: Win 8 Freebies?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 Freebies?

Howdy again, all

First, I could not resist... Newegg is re-offering Windows 8 Pro 64 upgrade for $29.95 (after $40 Visa rebate card). So I jumped on it. Anyone interested might want to go there by midnight tonight Pacific time to catch that deal.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416562

I figured it's good insurance for when I am ready to make the transition. I'll still be able to do a clean install when I'm ready. I want to wait for the rest of the industry to catch up with it first. Meanwhile, I guess I got quite the bargain since prices are expected to skyrocket after January 31.

...Which leads me to this. My understanding is that during this early period, some features can be had for free. For example, I just got my free product code for Windows Media Center while the gettin's good. Seems to me, I also read somewhere about a downloadable "Start" button? If you can think of other "get while the getting's good" goodies, can you please share them with me? Thanks!

Thanks
    The start button is available free all the time. Classic Shell is and has been free. If you would like Start8 it is a nominal fee of $4.99 from Stardock. I have used both and see very few differences for either.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    My understanding is that during this early period, some features can be had for free. For example, I just got my free product code for Windows Media Center while the gettin's good.
    I think that's the only example.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Ted and Bruce, much appreciated.

BTW Ted-- I was thinking of you... I got my AVG package Thursday, and the first thing I noticed was at the top right hand corner that asserted its support for Android devices.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 8 Pro For $15 through microsoft. Just bought a new laptop with Win 8. Went to MS on my old Vista laptop and filled out the form for Win 8 pro purchase. Told MS that I bought a Win 7 machine. Form did not require any verification. Ran upgrade assistant and clicked download. Saved the key code and canceled the download. Went to add new features on the new laptop and presto, running Win 8 Pro. Toshiba wanted to charge $100 to upgrade when I ordered the Laptop.

Thanks
    When I get home my AVG package should be waiting for me as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    AVG may be compatible with Windows 8, but Avast is definitely in the Microsoft Online Store now. It isn't an App, but the same desktop free AV product we've known for awhile now. Just certified compatible with Windows 8 now.

There are plenty of free Apps for Windows 8, and much legacy desktop software we've gotten for free is being updated to work with Windows 8. These free Apps and programs will not be going away anytime soon.

The only thing other than a valid license for Windows 8 that most Toshiba laptops need are updated drivers. Online, Toshiba Support has an Upgrade Adviser which automates the process. If doing a Clean Install, the drivers need to be downloaded and installed without automation. No charge in any event, but the latter process does require a LOT of patience. No free tech support from Toshiba either.

Because of the integration of the desktop and WinRT sides of Windows 8, separate Apps for security are not needed. Only the program which protects the whole OS.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-28 at 10:09.
    -- Bob Primak --