Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Build Storage Advice Please

Building i7-3770K
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro Mobo
    16GB
    Mainly to be used for audio editing with Adobe Audition, maybe video too at some point.
    Planning to use SSDs for OS and some programs and 1TB [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]HDD[/COLOR][/COLOR] for data storage.
    Is there an advantage to using two 240G SSDs (perhaps one for OS and another for programs) vs one larger one?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks
    For me, yes...but...
    I use a second SSD that is independent of the SSD drive my OS resides on, mainly for temporary video encoding.
    No need or benefit to have programs installed to another drive as the above drive is mainly used for the "read & write" speed.

I'll use the SSD for the brunt of the work, but store the end product to a high capacity mechanical storage drive.
    I highly recommend the 2TB to 3TB drives for the sole purpose of storage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If your editing needs are modest then mechanical disks are fine, but a 64GB SSD for the OS and programs make Windows fly.
    I's spend the extra cash on a large external backup disk instead of the second SSD.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say, second SSD only for certain considerations. I have two but my second is in a USB 3 toaster and dedicated to one or two virtual OSes. The hardware is so powerful these days I like to run two OSes at the same time so the system will at least grunt once in a while. I also don't want any performance issues with virtual, hence the dedicated SSD.

I don't see any reason for a second SSD if only running one OS at a time unless there is one in use initially and its capacity became a limiting factor but instead of swapping in a larger one, a second one is added. I don't find a mechanical drive to be limiting in any way when it comes to rendering but its nice to have the project files on the SSD when editing because the scrub-time experience and subsequent editing experience is better. You might not notice just with audio though, projects are generally smaller in size and can be mostly if not completely loaded into RAM.