Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Cannot install win 8 pro.

I have an Asus p8p67 pro motherboard with latest bios (3602). Running windows 7 home 64bit with no problems at all. On a Corsair performance Pro 250gb SSD connected to Sata 3 6Gb/s

I bought a windows 8 pro disk with activation key and tried to do a clean install by booting from the win8 disk and deleting the win 7 partitions to end up with just one unallocated partition.

I started the install and it goes all the way through to the second reboot, then i just get a back screen with only the mouse arrow showing with HDD continuously active. This went on for over one hour with no change.
    I then restored windows 7 from image backup with no problems at all and tried the in place upgrade route instead. Again it goes through all stages then pops up some error box and reboots back into win7, The error box did not stay on long enough for me to read it so have no idea why it failed.

I had already uninstalled the programs it reported as incompatible so should have worked. But with the clean install option with a complete blank disk there would not be any software except what win 8 installs to have issues with (I know I might have to find updated drivers once win 8 started) but could not get that far.

Any idea what on this motherboard win 8 does not like? As said there is no later Bios update available from Asus site (this bios is the same as offered for win 8 and win 7 so should be compatible.
    Have asked on Microsoft Tech site but not yet received any replies.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Could be a uefi problem. See:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039267850

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry but can't find any reference to 'Windows Boot Manager' in Bios and I did only have one SSD connected when tried. My Mobo has an Asus EFi bios which is similar but not the same as UEFi.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive, is it possible that either

1. Your installation disc is piratewarez
    2. Your optical drive is glitching-- mine did that years ago.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bought officially from Amazon so should be OK.
    Also tried copying the disk to USB stick but did same thing.
    Also have no problems with my optical drive when installing win 7 after the win8 fail.

Is there a way to get a download from MS without having to pay again using the Key that came with paid for disk?
    Clive

Thanks
    I doubt it because the payment screens precede the download screens. I would think a call to MS support might be in order.

Unfortunately I do not use a new PC with UEFI or SSD so I can't offer any further constructive suggestions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Is there a way to get a download from MS without having to pay again using the Key that came with paid for disk?
    Seems unlikely, but it also seems unlikely that if you could do so it would do any good: the installations should be identical, and the probability of a manufactured DVD being bad without being detected is quite low.

The 'windows boot manager' mentioned in the link may not be in the BIOS but in the normal boot menu - either in the Win 8 Pro boot menu (can you still get to that using F8 after POST?) if you can get the partially-installed system to boot that far or in the DVD boot menu that offers options for repairing broken systems.

Another possible approach (if you'd find it acceptable) using BIOS would be to convert your motherboard to use MBR rather than GUID partitioning (not having played with UEFI I don't know any details about how), then restore your Win 7 image to your newly-partitioned SSD so that the Win 8 Pro install would consider it a valid upgrade and try the installation that way. Or perhaps you could just set up the SSD with MBR partitioning and simply copy your Win 7 system there to perform the upgrade: the upgrade doesn't seem to require that the upgraded system be usable or even bootable.

Thanks
    I just found this scenario in another forum. I wonder if there is a clue to be had here:

I have just succeeded in installing both Windows 7 and 8 to UEFI/GPT partitions. They are separate installs backed up with Acronis ie, not dual boot. The trick was making sure that the OS DVD was booted while the BIOS was set to UEFI mode. I don't believe it will work if you boot the DVDs in Legacy mode. When the 'Install now' screen appeared I typed <shift-F10> to get a command prompt and ran diskpart to clean and convert gpt. After doing this for Windows 8, I then attempted the same thing with Windows 7. I left the partitions alone and got an error message informing me that the partitions were in the wrong order? I clicked Proceed. I don't know how serious this error might be, but the install did continue without further issues. Anyone know what this error signifies?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    CC, good day.

I found this for you, try it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs

You ought to get two offers, a) Get a key or b) I already have one key. When you enter it, the server will read it and recognize what you seek and get it to you.

Have a Merry. , Jean.

Thanks
    I believe Clive may have been asking about the actual Win 8 Pro ISO file, not the Media Center feature. I believe he received his Win 8 Pro as a DVD and is concerned the DVD has an error on it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right you are , Ted. But on this site, one has the option to enter a legal key and the site will see it, recognize it and respond with the needed D/L.

Or so, I remember. when I was having problem getting MC to work, I got there and entered my keys and got what I was seeking. JP.

NB: Have a Merry.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    on this site, one has the option to enter a legal key and the site will see it, recognize it and respond with the needed D/L.

Or so, I remember. when I was having problem getting MC to work, I got there and entered my keys and got what I was seeking.
    My impression (note that I haven't done this myself) is that if you already have a WMC key, when it tells you to enter it it simply validates it locally and unlocks the WMC support already present in Win 8 Pro without having to go on line at all save possibly to activate the changed system (i.e., that nothing gets downloaded, let alone the complete multi-GB Win 8 Pro installation code that clive was seeking).

Thanks
    I believe you are correct Bill. You do not download anything with the Media Center. You use Add Features (already present on your PC) and simply activate that feature on the PC with the key you receive for this purpose.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill, this is what you wrote : if you already have a WMC key, when it tells you to enter it it simply validates it locally and unlocks the WMC support.

I am of the opinion that this is also done for a W-8 D/L, I had to redo mine, the D/L, and having the keys, I entered them and was directed to the W-8 site, this is not only for the WMC support site. JP.

Thanks
    JP, did you use the link provided at the top of your email receipt from MS? This is the only way I am aware of getting the Win 8 Pro ISO file again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast