New Lounger
    Thanks

CD problems in Windows *

cds will not play with windows 8. Please help. Thanks!

Thanks
    CDs should play using Windows Media Player. DVDs will require the add-on Windows Media Center.

Please give us some more info. How did you install Win 8, Upgrade Installation or Custom Installation from DVD? What kind/make of PC? What CDs are not playing?

Always give as much info as you can.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    CDs should play using Windows Media Player. DVDs will require the add-on Windows Media Center.

Please give us some more info. How did you install Win 8, Upgrade Installation or Custom Installation from DVD? What kind/make of PC? What CDs are not playing?

Always give as much info as you can.
    Will Win8 open DVD with only data on them without WMC? (Just gathering information before diving in and installing Win 8 which won't install on my Mobo but not for this post)
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I do not believe so. It does not contain any of the necessary codecs. The OS will not recognize a disk has been inserted. I know of others that have requested and received the Media Center key before installing Windows in case they do not before Jan. 31st. You might consider doing this as well.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-24 at 08:16.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Will Win8 open DVD with only data on them without WMC?
    Win 8 Pro without WMC handles data DVDs just fine. It also will open video DVDs at the data level (which is how one usually 'rips' them). All it's missing are the video codecs that allow the video to be played as video, and various third-party media players can supply those if you don't want to bother with WMC (for that matter, there's at least one free third-party application that pretty much does everything that WMC can do).

Thanks
    I stand corrected. Good to know. Since I do have Media Center, I use this to play DVDs. I have not tried a data DVD.

Bill may be talking about VLC Media Player as the 3rd party player.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Bill may be talking about VLC Media Player as the 3rd party player.
    VLC is what I happen to use, but there are a bunch of usable and free third-party players out there to enjoy.

XBMC is the main choice as a fairly complete replacement for WMC that I know of (but haven't tried myself).

And of course Win 8 without any of these will play various video file formats using one of its Start screen 'modern' apps - just not directly decode video from video DVDs. So if you chose to use a third-party application to 'rip' the video off the DVD into, say, an MP4 format, you could then watch it (though that's a pretty cumbersome way to go about it given that free direct viewing options are available).

Just to round out the discussion, Win 8 Pro right out of the box without WMC seems to handle Blu-Ray media as well, as long as you don't want to watch video directly on them. Free players for Blu-Ray video content (especially DRMed content) are a lot harder to find: does WMC handle this?

Thanks
    I have not tried this as I only have one Blu-Ray movie and have not tried playing it. I am perfectly satisfied with the quality of movies in regular DVDs and am happier with the price as well.

I seldom use my PC for DVD playback as I enjoy the quality of my home theater and large screen LCD TV, and see very little necessity to use my PC for this. If I get a chance I will try it.

Edit: I just tried loading a Blu-Ray movie into my PC DVD (I do have a Blu-Ray Player in my PC). Media Center told me I do not have an app to play this disk. So I guess the answer is NO without an added app. Media Center cannot do this.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-24 at 11:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted