New Lounger
    Thanks

Cant get Devices and Printer to load

I can't get the Control Panel "Devices and Printers" to load. It's the only thing that doesn't work on my Windows 7 Professional System. The printers all work and can be found under Printer Management. No problem there. Most everything works except the Control Panel function. Kinda strange!

I've tried various suggestions from Microsoft's web site. Nothing works. Do you have an idea what's wrong and how to fix?

Regards,

rbarbetman

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you tried SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt?

Do you get any error messages?

Have you checked the system event logs?

JOe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Joe. Some follow up questions

What is SFC/SCANNOW? What do you mean by an "elevated command prompt"?

I probably know the answers to these questions but am not positive. By "elevated command prompt" are you talking about a DOS window?

There are all kinds of event logs. Which system event log should I look at? Where is it?

Also, something I didn't mention. My power supply broke and I had to replace it. I never had this problem until I replaced my power supply. Could it be there is something I didn't connect? I found that I had not connected the DVD drive to the motherboard (it had power) and that was easy enough to correct. I'm wondering if there's something I left unconnected to the motherboard that may be causing this. Sorry I didn't mention that sooner.

Unfortunately, I have NO restore points in the computer that exist before the power supply failed. That would have been my first attempt at fixing.

Thank you for your interest in this matter. I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem but all the answers I get from the Windows.com boards and other googled searches either don't work. Some report like me: after trying them all, they still have the problem.

The computer works! It's just that this is an annoying problem that may cause other headaches down the road.

One last item: I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a 32 bit platform. Not ready to upgrade to Windows 8 yet. I hate all the software re-loading that goes with an upgrade. Did that last December during the holidays and swore I'd never waste my holiday time like that again.

Regards,

aRBy