New Lounger
    Thanks

win 8 wont boot if i remove 2nd drive

hiya,

Merry Xmas to all

ok installed win 8, clean install on a new drive, worked great, ran it for about 6 weeks, worked great and was happy using win 8 so decided to make that computer my main one, connected another HD to copy all kinds of files from an old win 7 drive (word docs, downloads folder, favorites, and various other pdf docs etc to new win 8 install, went well, then a few days later i unplugged the old win 7 drive from the win 8 computer, on reboot got error that win 8 couldn't start as could not access required device, or a required device isn't connected or couldn't be accessed, i tried safe boot it booted ok, then did system restore no joy, it still failed to boot and again said it had encountered a problem (couldn't connect to or a required device isn't connected or couldn't be accessed) and wanted to restart, error number was all zeros with an E as the last character of the error message.

when i re-connected the other HD it finally booted, grrr usually under all previous version of windows i could connect and disconnect drives at will win 8 seems to hate it, any idea's ?

As i loaded win 8 without that second drive connected i don't understand why it wants it connected to boot, got me fuzzleld !!

the Win 8 install wasn't an upgrade, it was a Clean Install !!

it passed registration and activation and was purchased from a nationwide retailer so it wouldn't be a counterfeit copy hmm, and even then as it was a genuine upgrade it still shouldn't need the old drive connected to boot.

btw they are both sata drives so i cant see that there is a problem with slave or master drives settings.....

rgds
    syb
    Last edited by sybex2; 2012-12-26 at 01:38.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You seem to indicate that it will boot in safe mode without the W7 drive connected. Is this correct? If so, that means some higher process/driver is probably messed up. Still seems strange though that that the success of a boot is tied to a second drive...usually it's just the opposite in that a second drive connected via USB stops the boot procedure in it's tracks. Do you know if any drive will work or does it have to be that particular drive and, how are you connecting it?

The Startup Repair process might help in this case.

If its not booting in any mode without the second drive connected, then the only thing I can think of is that it's changing the boot order in the BIOS so it works when plugged in and not when it isn't. That's why it would be interesting to know if any drive sets the boot order correct or if its something else specific to that one drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hiya,

hmm ok interesting, (yes it will boot in safe mode without the 2nd drive connected) plugged in another drive and Sys booted normally, thanks for that, cause i wouldn't have thought of trying that, btw its not an usb drive its a bare? hard drive connected as you would normally connect simply connecting via sata connection on the MB.

I did go into the bios and looked to see if the second "disconnected" drive still showed , it didn't, (I could tell by the size of the drive it showed)boot is set as HD first (the one that is still existed)then CD ROM second.

having said the above, i am by no means an know it all expert so if even tho it shows the right size drive pls pls do not hesitate to correct/educate me, i truly believe that the person who says they know everything in fact doesn't!!!! and is in fact quite a dangerous person to have work on your computer..

the best person i think is one who admits they don't know it all but is prepared to learn and or research the problem !!

so teach me, educate me for i have a huge thirst for knowledge and love to learn something new ....

damm that sounds "sucky" but well i don't know it all, so and most importantly want to learn... hope you understand ..

rgds
    Syb
    Last edited by sybex2; 2012-12-26 at 02:48.

Thanks
    I wonder if the problem is caused because the original MBR was located on the Win 7 drive. Win 8 would have updated the MBR, but would not have moved it to the Win 8 drive.

Put in your Win 8 DVD and choose "Repair My PC". This might find the lacking MBR and fix it.

I see you can boot to Safe Mode so perhaps this is not correct, but worth a try.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Open up an elevated command prompt and type: Bcdedit.
    It will display where your bootmanager is located.

If they are not on the same drive (the drive the OS resides on) they can be put back easily enough, and the
    other drive inactivated (as far as bootfiles go).

Boot loader and boot manager need to be on the same drive as the OS.
    If they are not then the drive with the boot manager files will not boot the OS when the drive is removed.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-26 at 09:02.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok checked that,

all are on drive c: where win 8 is loaded, the second drive (the different one than the one that was originally connected) actually has no partition's except for the system reserved one of 150meg

rgds
    Syb

Thanks
    Leave the second drive disconnected. Boot into Safe Mode, open an elevated Command Prompt, then run

sfc /scannow

and let it finish. Then see if Windows 8 will boot normally.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In case nothing mentioned above works, try booting with the second drive connected, then go to Control Panel / Power Options / Choose what the power buttons do / Change settings that are currently unavailable and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) (you may also have to click 'apply' or something to make that setting stick), then shut down, remove the second drive, and see if Win 8 will now boot normally.

New Lounger
    Thanks

fixed

ok
    what I did is connect a different 2nd drive to it, went into admin/ comp management and deleted all the partitions then rebooted, then disconnected the 2nd drive and rebooted and all was fine.

I still don't really know why it did it but its fixed

thanks everyone for your help

rgds
    Syb