Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Header/footer disappear when i copy a text from another doc.

I have a document with a header/footer in which i have to copy some selected texts from another world document but when i try to copy them, the header and footer disappear. How can i solve it?
    Help me please
    it's urgent!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless you are copying to a completely blank "target" document, the headers and footers of the "source" document do not copy.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are there any section breaks in the text you are copying?
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all: hi! I am new to this forum and stumbled upon it.
    I have struggled with this issue for years. The problem occurs when you use section/page/continuous breaks.
    What I find helpful is to first remove all breaks from the document that contains the text I want to copy.
    I sometimes also have to remove all breaks from the document I want to paste in
    A quick way to do this (to remove all breaks) is to hit 'Ctrl-f' and to type ^b in the search field. Don't type anything in the replace field so all the breaks will be replaced by... blanks.
    Hit 'Replace all' and you're done.
    Then copy all the content and paste it in the other document.

Headers and footers are tricky beasts. They do disappear and sometimes get disconnected. You can easily reconnect them though.
    Double-click the area of a header or footer.
    The ribbon opens up and there will be a place with the icon to connect to the previous header or footer. This should work just fine unless... there are still hidden breaks.
    And remember that if you use columns: those use breaks!
    If you want you can turn on the hidden characters to tell you where they are but please note that they will not reveal all of them So use that '^b' trick

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Could you just use Paste Special Plain Text?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchPie View Post
    I have struggled with this issue for years. The problem occurs when you use section/page/continuous breaks.
    What I find helpful is to first remove all breaks from the document that contains the text I want to copy.
    Neither of these is especially helpful if you need the header/footer content and and/or page layout from either or both documents.

For example, if you have a mix of landscape and portrait pages in a document, deleting the Section breaks will destroy that arrangement. The same applies if you have Section breaks combined with different first/odd-even page layout or you're using them to manage different margins, changes between single & multiple columns, etc.

The OP's post suggests that what is not being replicated is the header/footer content from the source document. That implies that the source document consists of either:
    • a single section; or
    • multiple sections with linked headers/footers, but the first Section in the linked series is not being copied.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Could you just use Paste Special Plain Text?
    That's not going to help retain any formatting, graphics, tables etc...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

True enough but it also won't mess up your headers and footers. The graphics and tables can be copied separately as small sections that shouldn't carry any section breaks which many seem to think is causing the problem. IMHO it all boils down to which method causes the least pain in fixing the destination document to appear as desired. Which I'm sure is a personal decision and will vary from person to person. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    True enough but it also won't mess up your headers and footers.
    Since pasting content into the body of a document cannot delete headers & footers that are already in the document, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Rather, the issue appears to be that headers & footers from the source documents aren't being carried across. Using 'Paste Special Plain Text' in such a scenario at best achieves nothing that an ordinary paste won't; what is more likely is that it will only add to the user's woes.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all.
    I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while and found that fixing the destination and source documents usually works best. After removing the breaks I can paste and headers and footers stay put.

I would try different ways before that, spending hours but it would end up being a quick () fix instead: something was wrong with either document to begin with. Removing the breaks always solves the problem. I would have documents of sometimes over 120 pages so I was not happy about it but well, it did the trick

By the way, you can ideed paste headers and footers in the new document Which is great, saves me a lot of time. Using Word 2010, I started using Word back in the nineties but can't remember if Word always pasted headers and footers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchPie For This Useful Post:

Sarahkam (2012-12-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    DutchPie: Evidently, then, the documents you're copying/pasting to/from are quite simple and you don't need to deal with any of the issues I raised in my reply to your previous post. Deleting Section breaks as you propose would be disastrous on the kinds of documents I mentioned and could actually delete numerous headers/footers from both documents along the way.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Sarahkam (2012-12-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've been seeing this since W2002 and have't found a way to prevent copied that text contains section breaks and header/footer content from changing the destination doc's linked header/footers, particularly if the header/footers are linked to previous.

Depending on how complex the copied document is, I either copy and paste section by section without copying section breaks or I first copy the destination doc's header/footer to the clip board, paste the copied source text, and then paste the "correct" header/footer.

I just checked W2010 and -13, it's still happening.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2013-01-03 at 12:39. Reason: Added info
    Pam Caswell

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Sarahkam (2012-12-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All Word versions, since at least Office 4 (1993) have worked this way.

Basically, inserting content from another document with its own headings & page layout requires creating a new Section for the content to go into in the target document, unlinking that Section's headers/footers from the previous Section - and doing likewise for the following Section. If you're only importing part of a multi-section source document, you also need to unlink the headers/footers of the first Section to be copied. Having done that, you're then ready to start copying/pasting. When you're done, you may still need to fix the last pasted Section's page setup.

I have a macro that automates all this for importing a whole document into a specified Section. I'll see if I can make it more flexible then post here and provide a link.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchPie View Post
    First of all: hi! I am new to this forum and stumbled upon it.
    A quick way to do this (to remove all breaks) is to hit 'Ctrl-f' and to type ^b in the search field. Don't type anything in the replace field so all the breaks will be replaced by... blanks.
    Hit 'Replace all' and you're done.
    Then copy all the content and paste it in the other document.

Headers and footers are tricky beasts. They do disappear and sometimes get disconnected. You can easily reconnect them though.
    Double-click the area of a header or footer.
    The ribbon opens up and there will be a place with the icon to connect to the previous header or footer. This should work just fine unless... there are still hidden breaks.
    And remember that if you use columns: those use breaks!
    If you want you can turn on the hidden characters to tell you where they are but please note that they will not reveal all of them So use that '^b' trick

I hope this helps.
    Yeah! It works!

Thank you very much.
    Well, despite what other friends said, this trick was so helpful for me. My document is so simple. In fact the person who gave me this document said me later that there were pictures in this document which she removed so i guess the problem derived from this issue)

Thnak you again

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarahkam For This Useful Post:

DutchPie (2013-01-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Neither of these is especially helpful if you need the header/footer content and and/or page layout from either or both documents.

For example, if you have a mix of landscape and portrait pages in a document, deleting the Section breaks will destroy that arrangement. The same applies if you have Section breaks combined with different first/odd-even page layout or you're using them to manage different margins, changes between single & multiple columns, etc.

The OP's post suggests that what is not being replicated is the header/footer content from the source document. That implies that the source document consists of either:
    • a single section; or
    • multiple sections with linked headers/footers, but the first Section in the linked series is not being copied.
    You are right but since my document is so simple witout any picture that trick worked for me.
    Thank you (rose)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast