3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Audio suddenly quit working on XP computer.

I have an XP machine ... SP3. It apparently has an on board RealTek HD audio chip which has been working fine until yesterday. Suddenly no audio. In control panel/sounds and audio devices ... hardware ... says the device is working properly. However under audio tab it doesn't even exist. I have gone through the troubleshooter routine .. no help. I have "updated" driver. But MS says the one I have is good enough. ... Still audio.

What am I missing? ... Or should I get another audio card and forget about the RealTek thing?

Al

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would imagine audio cards are available fairly cheaply. I suppose you could try at the RealTek site for updated drivers. If it was working and suddenly stopped with no changes on your part I would most likely suspect a H/W problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There doesn't appear to be a more up to date driver. The thing that puzzles me is how can Windows say the device is working properly, whereas under playback it doesn't even show that it exists.

Thanks
    That is why I suspect a H/W failure. Windows sees the drivers and S/W as correct, but the device is not seen by the playback system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give it a try and hope it solves the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it was a thought. ... Took a closer look, and found I don't have any spare slots in that machine. Have to do some more thinking about this one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Two things you might try or check with onboard audio. Once in a while something will trigger the system to turn off the audio in the BIOS (for some reason something else that thinks it should be the audio disables it), so check the BIOS to see if audio is enabled or Auto.
    If it is enabled, then a System Restore to a point when it was working may again cause it to work, and be sure to check both rear and front audio ports if they exist, I've had it switch to the front and not work from the rear for no apparent reason either.

If that fails there are little USB audio converter/subsystem jacks you can buy, I recently picked up a few for less than 5 bucks, plug it into a USB jack, plug in headphones or an audio line to powered speakers on the other end, wait for maybe 30 seconds, and bingo, back in audio business.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay ... thanks. That did it. The system was showing the onboard audio as "working properly" ... except that it wouldn't show as an active component. The system restore (I should have tried this before but it seemed like a hardware failure of some kind) ... and everything came back. Audio now works. As it happens I also ordered one of those USB "sound cards" (soundblaster variety), so I will have that on hand as a standby.

Thanks again for the help.

Al