New Lounger
    Thanks

Error while repairing MS Office 2010

My Office 2010 install had recently started acting flakey, so I decided to run a repair install.

After selecting 'Repair', the 'Configuration Progress' screen starts, then stops and throws up the following message:

"Setup cannot find Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.xml. Browse to
    a valid installation source, and then click OK".

I installed Office from a single file which I purchased and downloaded from Digital River -- the file is 'X17-75058.exe', so where do I browse to, to get the file it's asking me for?

(i have a feeling I'd run into the same kind of problem if I try to do an Uninstall...but I'm not going there yet, I just don't have the time to go through the install-and-reconfigure-everything hassle right now.)

Does anyone have any ideas how to get the repair going? I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, MS Office 2010 32-bit.

Thanks

Thanks
    Download Everything search (www.voidtools.com ) and search for the file. It should find the file somewhere on one of your hard disks. If it doesn't find it, download 7 zip and use it to extract the installation files to a location on your hard drive. the OfficeMUI.xml file should be one of the extracted files.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-12-26 at 14:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. However:

a. Your first suggestion -- I did find the file on one of the folders on my C drive. BUT -- when I navigate to the folder from the Repair program, I get the error "Invalid Location"; then pops me back to the Browse box.

b. I do use 7-zip, but the downloaded installer was an exe, not an ISO file. So there's nothing to extract (I think).

Thanks
    Many .exe setup files are compressed zip files. Try loading it into 7 zip or right click on it and see if there's a 7 zip > extract files option.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry -- thanks, was able to extract the files inside the exe with 7-zip as suggested by you. Extracted and made a separate folder.

Now, if I run Setup.exe from the extracted files, I immediately get an error "The language of this installation package is not supported by your System". Surprising, when it was precisely this package which was used to originally install Office!

Alternatively, if I use the original packaged exe to run the install, and when it asks for the missing file (per my earlier post), I navigate to the particular folder (which I've just extracted) -- I get the message "Invalid Location", clicking on which just pops me back to the Browse box.

Any ideas?

Rajeev

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I eventually wound up restoring an image from before the problem started...Acronis True Image saved the day!

However, I'm bookmarking that weblink -- will probably come in useful sometime.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same error. I went to voidtools.com and download Everything. I did the repair to configuration and got 2 more errors. The following files are missing: Office.en-us\Setup.xml and Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.MSI

I know basics but still struggling to correct Microsoft Office. All of my programs continue to shut down doing basic commands, mainly Save As and naming a file.

Ideas?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelleySB View Post
    I had the same error. I went to voidtools.com and download Everything. I did the repair to configuration and got 2 more errors. The following files are missing: Office.en-us\Setup.xml and Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.MSI

I know basics but still struggling to correct Microsoft Office. All of my programs continue to shut down doing basic commands, mainly Save As and naming a file.

Ideas?

Thanks
    Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall Office?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not find the discs for Office. I believe the guy who used to work on my computer may have them. Not sure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you have the Office product key you may download it from Get a backup of Office 2010.

See 14 Free Product Key Finder Programs for help if you don't have the key. I'd recommend using one of the first two listed.

Joe