New Lounger
    Thanks

SIM card reader question.

I have switched phones enough to know what a pain it is to move everyting over by hand. One solution is to take your phone to the phone store where you got it and have them transfer the info over. Net 10 retailers generally know not how to accomplish this. I checked an electronic store to see if they had a SIM card reader so I could transfer the contacts over. They never heard of it. So I looked online and found some on popular retail sites for very cheap. Some do SD and Micro SD etc. Are these items useful to do this and are they legal? Will my computer that reads SD-MS/Pro-MMC-XD read a SIM card?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used them and they just read what's on the SIM or write to it. There is no reason they would be illegal, they do what your phone does, just from a PC.
    I don't bother to save anything to the SIM because it's ever big enough for my stuff. Plug a micro SD card in and copy to that.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There used to be all sorts of adverts some years ago in UK magazines which suggested using a SIM card reader as part of a backup method, mainly for your contact phone numbers. I understand that the results were somewhat variable, and people found that excessive or rough handling of the SIM card could be fatal to it.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot of smart phones come with software that when you connect your phone via USB the software can read whatever is on your phone even the SD card and you can do backups of your phones software to be able to restore in case of problems. you can also save all your contact details from the sim or phone memories so can restore them into other cards.or phones.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Being on a budget and on a phone service that doesn't have the latest phones I just got one last year that offered a micro sd card from my pay as you go provider. I think I can put all the info from the dumb phones on thier provided sim cards. If not, I will see if I can garner the memory thru a cable. The prices for the SIM readers are very low and if it can save me some headache all the better. Thanks to all.
    Happy New Year!