Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

User Accounts-UpdatusUser & UpdatusUser.Roy-PC

My Users folder includes the above named User Accounts, which I believe were created as a result of having NVIDIA Software installed. Is it safe to delete them, or would doing so cause problems with the NVIDIA graphics card?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,

When I update my Nvidia drivers, I don't include the built-in updater. I prefer to do it myself. Rather than deleting the file, I suggest re-installing.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks. If I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and then reinstall them without the updater will that get rid of the User Accounts concerned, and if not would it then be safe to delete them manually?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hi Roderunner and thanks. If I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and then reinstall them without the updater will that get rid of the User Accounts concerned, and if not would it then be safe to delete them manually?
    Hi Roy,
    As i'm sure your aware, many programs like to check themselves for updates when used. As my Firewall does not allow this, I disable or de-activate this feature wherever possible and do so myself with the help of FileHippo updater portable & Secunia.
    I have never been keen to delete files of any kind as there is always something remaining in the registry, with the exclusion of programs being re-installed.
    This Nvidia.pdf explains how I used to do it. My last attempt at doing so failed to find drivers for both MB / Display. The time before that, I did get the updated drivers, but my pc would not work correctly on installing them. Luckily, I was able to do a Restore with Acronis. I also have copies of the drivers that worked.
    If you can't get the latest drivers or have a copy of the ones currently on your pc don't uninstall Nvidia. You can get Nvidia drivers via Windows Update but they tend to be old versions.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks. I have the installer for the latest NVIDIA graphics driver so I decided to delete everything related to NVIDIA. I used Revo Uninstaller Pro and then, with the aid of Unlocker for some files, deleted the remaining items I could find, including the User Accounts folders created by NVIDIA. I then used the Everything search program, which found some items in System 32 and deleted them. I also disabled the NVIDIA Service. I then installed the latest graphics driver, the driver only, and have no problems.

Finally, I am making updated images of my drives with Macrium Reflect.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Glad your happy Roy, but my way of uninstalling anything is, IMHO the best.
    -
    My 2 pc's have rather small hdd's (1 in each), My C: Drive's are 45gb with nothing I can't replace put in it. I have 4 large external hdd's where I store everything I don't want to lose. I also have copies on D: Drive (Partitions) for quick access to them.
    I use Acronis 2010 and only do 'One Click' back-ups which is a 'Systembackup'. All done to separate folders, named as the back-up date.
    e.g. if I intend testing a program, I do a back-up first, then if its to be removed, I do a 'Restore'. This is one of two ways to remove a program completely & safely, without damaging my pc's registry. The other way is a clean install.
    Back-ups & Restores are done within Windows as recommended by Acronis.
    -

I know that not everyone can get either Macrium or Acronis to work correctly on their pc's. I tried Macrium and didny like it or how it worked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-12-29)