New Lounger
    Thanks

Network folder sharing outside of domain

We have a folder that is shared over the network by all the computers in the office (we have a domain with computers running xp pro and win 7). I would like to be able to access that folder from home the same way that I do in the office but my home computer is obviously not on the office network. What is a good way to do this?

I don't mind having a local copy of the folder on my hard drive s long as it syncs properly. I was considering putting the shared folder on Google Drive or Dropbox but it is a very large folder (>100GB) so would cost a lot for a Google Drive account that holds that much and also it would prevent me from using my personal Google Drive account (afaik I can only have one account per machine).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    You could go about this several ways. A few that I can quickly envision would be:

1. Setup a VPN to allow you office access from home.
    2. Use a tool such as TeamViewer to access the computer where the folder is located, from home, which would also allow you access to the files
    3. Use a cloud storage service, such as Skydrive, to sync the folder and share it. With Skydrive, 125 GB will cost you around $50 / year.The downside of using SkyDrive is that they don't seem to offer more than 125 GB, so if you need more, it seems you won't be able to.
    4. Copy the folder to your computer and then use a syncing tool / strategy, to keep it synced to the server, when you are at work.

The order is random, really. Pick your own order from this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

JoStar (2013-01-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the office we have VPN and TeamViewer. I frequently use Teamviewer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not a fan of having a local copy of the office data, it encourages you to work when you should be relaxing. ;-))

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydeee View Post
    In the office we have VPN and TeamViewer. I frequently use Teamviewer.
    I currently use LogMeIn but it is often slow and therefore not so good for this purpose. It is good for quick things but I often use this to work from home for long periods of time which can be very frustrating to do over LogMeIn. I assume Teamviewer would have the same issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I am not a fan of having a local copy of the office data, it encourages you to work when you should be relaxing. ;-))

cheers, Paul
    Very true. But I often will work from home during regular business hours as well on days when I am not physically needed in the office. It saves travel time and often I can get a lot more done without having other people around.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoStar View Post
    I currently use LogMeIn but it is often slow and therefore not so good for this purpose. It is good for quick things but I often use this to work from home for long periods of time which can be very frustrating to do over LogMeIn. I assume Teamviewer would have the same issue.
    I prefer TeamViewer to LogMeIn. It does seem faster to me. It's slower than working locally, but it's quite good for remote work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

JoStar (2013-01-03)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For the purposes as described in the OP, I would ask your IT guys in the office to setup a specific User account with VPN access for that folder.

Fast, reliable and secure.

Logmein, TeamViewer, RDP all work very well, but have the same disadvantage : you need the target machine to be turned on and you are controlling everything that is performed by that machine. That's OK, to an extent, if the target machine is your own workstation, but then there are still issues issues such as system security and company liability to consider.

If all that is needed to to access a shared folder from a server, connect via VPN to the server with User rights that are limited to restrict access to that share only. Map the shared folder on your own PC at home - reconnect once the VPN is attached. Network traffic is minimised to transfer of data to and from that folder only, no access is granted to the target machine other than that, so no changes can be made and no Not-Safe-For-Work traffic can take place.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    For the purposes as described in the OP, I would ask your IT guys in the office to setup a specific User account with VPN access for that folder.

Fast, reliable and secure.
    When working with VPN, how does that work? Are all the files copied locally or would I just see a list of files and it would only download files I access? Also, can I connect my Outlook to the office's Exchange Server using VPN?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoStar View Post
    When working with VPN, how does that work? Are all the files copied locally or would I just see a list of files and it would only download files I access? Also, can I connect my Outlook to the office's Exchange Server using VPN?
    Basically you'd be connected to your company's network so you'd be accessing the server and the files located at the server. Depending on configuration, yes, by accessing your local network, you could access your exchange server as well (presuming it can be accessed only from a local network, otherwise the VPN wouldn't even be needed).